My lager has frozen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettski

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Having a bad day, after having my wallet stolen on the trains this morning and (naturally) copping a fine from the inspectors I've come home to find my lager frozen in the fridge. Two are totally frozen and have popped their tops and the others are still liquid but quite frosty. I've carbbed my bottles for three weeks and am a little over a week into lagering. Is my lager ruined?

You would have sheared the yeast cells.. but I imagine you could easily defrost and add in some new clean culture

Grainer said:
You would have sheared the yeast cells.. but I imagine you could easily defrost and add in some new clean culture
Not sure you'd want to go opening every bottle. Might be a bit of an infection/oxidation risk and measuring a the correct dose of fresh yeast for each one would be a big PITA. You might be better off just leaving them. If they weren't all completely frozen, chances are that enough yeast would have survived to finish the job. Lagering's a waiting game anyway, so maybe just wait a few weeks longer than normal.

Ice beer. You should be ok, as they had three weeks to carb up initially.
Sad day for Australia when you need to get a money belt to keep your valuables hidden under your shirt.

Anyway, Nil illegitimae carborundum.

option for future..larger in bulk...?

Grainer said:
option for future..larger in bulk...?
Yeah this is what I'm thinking, this is actually my first batch so maybe for the next lot.

OT but I'd be contesting that fine. Inspectors aren't far off real estate agents on the tree of scum.

I'm definitely going to contest on principal alone, to be a victim of crime then fined as one 20 minutes later is outrageous to me. At least the homebrewing community is full of decent, helpful people I'm coming to find.

I'm definitely going to contest on principal alone, to be a victim of crime then fined as one 20 minutes later is outrageous to me. At least the homebrewing community is full of decent, helpful people I'm coming to find.

good luck with it mate. sorry to hear about the bad luck. just make sure you've reported the crime before contesting the ticket. the police report number will help.

Latest posts

Back