My Kegs Arrived

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francismcphail

Reaction score
My eBay kegs arrived this morning. So I unpacked and began the lovely job of cleaning.

One keg was relatively clean, and just needed a good rinse out, a and a soak in bleach, the other was a mess and had about an inch of crud in the bottom. (But I did buy non reconditioned kegs.)

Now I'm a complete noobie when it comes to kegs so go easy with me. :unsure:

I've noticed that once full if seal and tip the kegs on there sides they leak from the centre seal. I'm assuming I need a new seal kit for this?

On the side of one of them is a small (about 10 mm in length) amount of surface rust which hasn't gone very far. Now I've bought a metal sealant before for a rusty gutter when we were painting the outside of our house. Should I be grinding/filing/sanding back the rust and applying some sort of like material to inhibit further rusting? (The ruse is only small and only in one spot.)

One of the kegs is a Firestone, and the other is a well Madison 7Up and Co

Keg_1.jpg

Keg_2.jpg

Keg_3.jpg

Scrub the rust off with a scouring pad and rub a mix of vinegar and bicarb soda into the area...problem solved :super:

As for the leaks, yeah replace all the seals/o-rings.

PZ.

Probably a good idea to remove the posts, clean them and replace all the seals.

The keg will leak until you gas it up, forcing the lid upwards to compress the seal and become airtight.

When did you order these kegs. I ordered 4 on 4/8/06, thats 14 weeks ago, im getting a little worried they might have fallen off the ship and become a floating ice berg

Mine came from QLD... Though I have a feeling the person who is selling them off eBay from QLD is buying them in from the US, and sort of reselling...

When did you order these kegs. I ordered 4 on 4/8/06, thats 14 weeks ago, im getting a little worried they might have fallen off the ship and become a floating ice berg

Cool just found this. Have now just rinsed out both kegs with clean water and have run an iodophor solution to them. Thanks for the info.

My eBay kegs arrived this morning. So I unpacked and began the lovely job of cleaning.

One keg was relatively clean, and just needed a good rinse out, a and a soak in bleach,

I thought bleach was not a good thing for Stainless steel... A quick google gave me the following link to 5 things not to do with Stainless.

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/ideasbysu...nsteeldonts.htm

Cheers
Ben

Yeah I dang well forgot about that. Got given my 1st birthday present when I was 31.. Took me 30 years to prie it out of my dad's hands. (see a pic below.) The water tank was severly tarnished, and after search around I found the best cleaner for the job to vinegar, and bi-carb. (The restoration is a work in progress and the pic is not mine just one I found on eBay.)

Scrub the rust off with a scouring pad and rub a mix of vinegar and bicarb soda into the area...problem solved :super:

PZ.

32_1.JPG

Just a FYI I did the mix of vinegar, and bi-carb ages ago now.... Gave it a little light scrub, and now there is no telling that there was ever any sign of rust there at all. Works an absoloute treat.

PZ.

Back