My Holy Grail Of Pilsner Recipe's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I have been brewing for a while now and been trying to master a lot of Lager style beers with little personnel satisfaction, especially with the German ones. But thanks to AndrewQLD and Zizzles suggestions this is my standard Pilsner now. It works great for me every time. I love the 60 40 20 hop additions and the mash schedule I think is a winner and covers all bases for me. Here it is. It feels good after all these years to finally have a recipe that I can say I have got down and dusted.

#53 Boh Pilsner
Bohemian Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 17/05/2010
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 32.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5000.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 95.24 %
250.00 gm Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
60.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
60.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (40 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
60.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.71 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 38.0 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 9.8 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 5250.00 gm
Sparge Water: 12.31 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Double Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 9.00 L of water at 59.1 C 52.0 C
30 min Saccrification Add 8.00 L of water at 78.1 C 63.0 C
30 min Saccrification Add 8.00 L of water at 93.4 C 72.0 C

Glad your happy with the results, It's not an easy style to get right, hop and malt balance is the key. The S-189 yeast works really well too.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks mate. The base malt changes depending on what I am using at any one time. I am drinking this at the moment made from half BB Ale and half BB Pale malt. Very nice too.

Steve

Thanks mate. The base malt changes depending on what I am using at any one time. I am drinking this at the moment made from half BB Ale and half BB Pale malt. Very nice too.

Steve

Hi Steve

congrats on fine tuning your recipe. Pils is one of my favs as well. Getting great flavour but having a bit of trouble with cloudiness and sometimes head retention. I bottle not keg. I use Koppafloc , boil hard. mash pH is fine (5.2). Ferment at low temp and lager. Still have cloudy beer.

I notice that you include a protein rest. I am planning to include this for next brew. Do you find it improves clarity?

Cheers

A little but the biggest difference I have made to clarity was adding a teaspoon of Gelatine to the secondary. But now I keg I just ferment in primary and with the S-189 even at 12 deg C it would be done in a week so I just keg straight from the primary with the gelatine, force carb if I am in a hurry and away we go. I still find it needs a few weeks in the keg to come up to scratch but as for the protein rest it works fine for me as the water in the HLT is warming up it does not hurt to do the extra step. Its a timing thing with a HLT and stepped infusions.

Steve

A little but the biggest difference I have made to clarity was adding a teaspoon of Gelatine to the secondary. But now I keg I just ferment in primary and with the S-189 even at 12 deg C it would be done in a week so I just keg straight from the primary with the gelatine, force carb if I am in a hurry and away we go. I still find it needs a few weeks in the keg to come up to scratch but as for the protein rest it works fine for me as the water in the HLT is warming up it does not hurt to do the extra step. Its a timing thing with a HLT and stepped infusions.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I havent tried a protein rest as most of the references I have read, state that it is not required with highly modified malts. I'm definitely going to give it a go next time though

I have tried gelatine without too much success. Am going to try polyclar in the batch that is currently fermenting.

Cheers

Looks good Steve - have you done this recipe with Weyermann Pils malt? That S-189 is a very nice yeast, isn't it?

Cheers,
TL

I thought BB ale and BB pale were the same thing and that BB Galaxy is for Pilseners? :unsure:
Cheers
Steve

Looking good/similar SJW,

After I just finished brewing my 18th House Lager/Pilsner the grain recipe has settled at the following (Hops change though depending on pilsner/lager):

90% Weyermann Pils
5% Wheat
5% Melanoidin

Sometimes I exchange 10% of the Weyerman for Flaked rice and/or 20% for Galaxy Malt but other then that it doesn't change.

S-189 is a cracker too, while I love the wyeast danish lager, since trying the S-189 I haven't gone back.

Looks good Steve - have you done this recipe with Weyermann Pils malt? That S-189 is a very nice yeast, isn't it?
No TL, I think my next malt buy will include a bag of either the Weyermanns Pils or the other Weyermanns Undermodified Pils. But I must say that I am very impressed with both BB Ale and Pale malts.

I thought BB ale and BB pale was the same thing and that BB Galaxy is for Pilseners?
Cheers
No Steve, Pilsner is a European name for Pale malt and Ale is Ale. Only slightly different specs though. Good stuff too. I will be hard pressed to justify buying Weyermann's all the time now as the price has jumped up.

Steve

No TL, I think my next malt buy will include a bag of either the Weyermanns Pils or the other Weyermanns Undermodified Pils. But I must say that I am very impressed with both BB Ale and Pale malts.
No Steve, Pilsner is a European name for Pale malt and Ale is Ale. Only slightly different specs though. Good stuff too. I will be hard pressed to justify buying Weyermann's all the time now as the price has jumped up.

Steve

I agree with the other Steve, i'm led to believe Galaxy is there pilsner malt.....time to investigate

Rook

There we go, straight from Craftbrewers website.

Ale Malt (Barrett Burston)
EBC 5 - 7 (mash required): High quality Australian base malt
for all your ales. Great flavour profile.

Pilsner Galaxy Malt (Barrett Burston)
EBC 3 - 4 (mash required): Highly modified pale malt. Its high diastatic
power makes it the perfect choice for beers containing adjuncts.

Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)
EBC 3 - 4 (mash required): Good quality Australian pilsner malt.
Suitable for a wide range of ales & lagers.

I thought BB ale and BB pale were the same thing and that BB Galaxy is for Pilseners? :unsure:
Cheers
Steve

BB Pale 100% definitely a Pilsner malt. Galaxy is just a paler pils malt that can also handle a higher adjunct load. Me suspects a lot of it makes it to Asia.

Warren -

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve. I've attached two data sheets - one for BB Pale and one for BB Galaxy.
View attachment BB_Pale.pdf
View attachment Galaxy_Pale.doc

If anyone has a data sheet on "BB Ale" (Ross?) I'd love to see it - my take is that BB Pale / Ale is blended barley (Baudin and Gairdner) and are fine for either Ales or Lagers. The suggestion is that rather than selling BB Ale and BB Pilsener malt, the malt is bagged up and sold simply (more ethically as Kurtz put it) as BB Pale malt...Anyone, please feel free to correct me on this point.

Side by side, the BB Pale and Galaxy malts are very close - the only statistically significant differences is the higher Diastatic Power rating of BB Pale (327) compared to Galaxy (296) and BB Pale's Beta Glucan level (188) is substantially higher than Galaxy's (33)...

I did a batch of APA last weekend with BB Pale and to be honest the wort out of the mashtun looked very lager-like!

Cheers,
TL

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Sorry for the hijack SJW. TL...I know I have asked the same question on our site but kurtz's ramblins confused the crap out of me.
Cheers
Steve

It all good mate. Thats what its all about. ;)

I gave this Mashing schedule a try with my Blonde Ale today, as I was looking for a cleaner and drier beer.

I found it really easy. I can see me adapting this for my Pilsners as well once I get my brew fridge up and running.

Cheers for posting this.

Thommo.

I gave this Mashing schedule a try with my Blonde Ale today, as I was looking for a cleaner and drier beer.

I found it really easy. I can see me adapting this for my Pilsners as well once I get my brew fridge up and running.

Cheers for posting this.

Thommo.
Now we are a club already ;)
Cheers :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back