My First A.g Tomorrow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datman510

Reaction score
So tomorrows the big day, ive completed all of 2 K & K brews and found myself wanting more. So i got some gear together and am good to go. I've read almost every single booklet PDF's on here and watched heaps on youtube, spoke to everyone i know about how to go about it and wound up ridiculously confused. So i took a bit from everything and have written out a basic step by step plan.

The recipe im going for is the LCBA by Tony (26lt batch) so next is my steps please give me some pointers, the recipe itself is not so much of a concern as tomorrow is more about the process itself (basically i dont care what hops ect). so here tis summarised...

1. 15 litres strike water to 76c to hit a mash temp of 66c
2. put water in tun for afew minutes to preheat.
3. Add grain, stir thoroughly take temp and adjust to 66 - 67c leave 60 mins.
4. Boil 22lts sparge water to 80c, add 7 odd litres for first batch sparge run.
5. Add remaining 15 lts for second run stir and sit for 5 - 10 miutes then second run. should have collected 32 lts by this stage hopefully.
6. Start boil after 1st run and add second after... bring to boil (duh)

this is where im getting lots of diff info....

the first hop addition is at 45 min remaining once at the boil, boil for for 90 total? adding the first hops at 45 minute mark?

this is the only part im truly unclear on.

7. once all hops are in and boil is finished cool with immersion cooler down to below 25.... transfer to fermenter from a decent height to help aerate.... pitch bobs your uncle. or is it?

Much appreciated

Gareth

i didnt, i just kind made it up........ where can i find these accurate calculations? or the formula?

You can download trial versions of either, I use Beersmith. If you use any type of brewing software you will be able to accurately calculate how much water to put in one end and get the right amount of wort into the fermenter at the other end.

can anyone help me with the boil question i had above?

85......... check. basically what im asking is that if im boiling for 60 mins and the recipe says fisrt hops 45 minutes that means once boiling wait 15 minutes then the rest from there? other than that awesome....

the first hop addition is at 45 min remaining once at the boil, boil for for 90 total? adding the first hops at 45 minute mark?

That is correct. Boil for 45min then add your first hop addition, which relates to 45min remaining in a 90min boil :)

Good luck.

85......... check. basically what im asking is that if im boiling for 60 mins and the recipe says fisrt hops 45 minutes that means once boiling wait 15 minutes then the rest from there? other than that awesome....
thats it larry, you have it scammed already

i'll start my seminars soon..... watch this space :huh:

Good luck Gareth!

Don't fret about it, it will go fine, just pay attention to the process, and what's the rule, something like don't crack your first one open until flame on or flame out? Given that it's a 90min boil better make it flame out! ^_^

For simplicity, the strike water temperature is a function of the grain to water ratio typically, there's heaps of calculations on the web. Of course you'll probably have to convert your units to gallons, slugs, pounds and pecks to make the online ones work! If you miss the temperature by a degree or two, it's usually no biggie, especially for the first one, but try and keep it below 68C. If you go above it for a little while, no big deal, just let it cool back down.

And no, i'm not gunna say "Relax, don't worry - have a home brew". Maybe we should have an AHB motto to replace this one! At risk of going off topic, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

Good luck

take it slow and think about the process and you wont have a big hassel
Once you have done it once you find its not as hard as you thought

4. Boil 22lts sparge water to 80c, add 7 odd litres for first batch sparge run.
if your going to do a mash out, you might want to have your water at boiling for the first bit. I need about 8-10lt of boiling water to get my mash up to 75c.

cheers :beer:
John

Good luck with your 1st AG mate,may many more follow.

Give a man a beer and his happy for 10 minutes,teach a man to brew and his happy for lifetime :D

you guys rule, always there for me... im getting all emotional. :(

Larry,

Why are you going a 90 min boil and not just 60?

Don't get me wrong I don't know any better but just curious....

BTW: Good luck, enjoy AND don't forget to post the pics!!

Cheers
Cocko!

Good morning and good luck Larry.

Your question regarding the boil. You are using Pils malt so 90 minutes is spot on.
(This is to drive off the DMS, Cocko)
Hop additions are as you assumed from, minutes from end of boil/ flame out.

I don't know what set up you have, but first runnings should be slow to allow the grain bed to set then go as fast as you wish since you batch sparge.

Enjoy

this is where im getting lots of diff info....

this is the only part im truly unclear on.

Much appreciated

Gareth

Not sure your question has been answered. Thre is no point in boiling for 45 before adding any hops. You will achieve a satisfactory hot break after a few minutes, after that add your first bittering hops. I can see why you may be confused, 45min is not very long for first hops but that's what the recipe says.

Cheers
KOS

Latest posts

Back