Murrays Nirvana Pale Ale- Now Bottled

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score

The "pub with no Beer" out at Taylors Arm has Murrays Brewing Co. onsite and some very fine beers are brewed and served there. The Double IPA I had when I was there blew me away.
What I like about their philosophy is "we handcraft the beers we love to drink".
Now the Pale Ale is available in bottles and mighty tasty it is.

I've yet to pinpoint the hops, malt and yeast but a few more bottles should help that.... now on to Platts Folly Old world Lager. (The Aussie craft brew explosion continues)

I bought a 4 pack of the Murrays Sassy Blonde yesterday and thought it was a really nice easy drinking beer. The botttle shop was out of the Nirvana PA (apparently ordered 10 cases that didn't last long) but i will be up there in a month so Gough better have some there then! I have only heard good reviews of it. The Double IPA sounds like a ripper also.

Apparently they also have a nice Grand Cru and being a belgian fan i can't wait to taste it.

Out.

yes i can't wait to get up there - thinking of excuses to get mrs meate up that way australia day weekend - could be a bit hard to just "stumble across" being as out of the way as it is though...
anyway looks like we are seeing signs of progress in this country! just in the last two years things have exploded.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the beers fellas. I'd love to see any AHBers that want to drop in. PM or email me to let me know your plans and I'll make sure you get a good look at the brewery and a good taste of all the beers. The Sassy Blonde is very much a session beer but with a 'different' character coming from the Belgian yeast strain we use. The Nirvana uses British malts, a Brit ale yeast and lots of a blend of Kiwi hops. And Nooch, the Grand Cru is drinking really nicely at the moment - love to see what you reckon when you get up here ;) We are brewing and bottling as fast as we can at the moment so the mid-north coast, Sydney and Newcastle should see consistent stocks of our beers from here on in. If you want a laugh at my expense check the website www.murraysbrewingco.com.au - I'm the one trying :rolleyes: to explain our new labeller...

Thanks for the feedback,

Shawn.

Yes when I was drinking the Sassy Blonde the first thought that came to mind was De Koninck. Great beer. Can't wait to get up there and try the rest.

Cheers

Glad to hear you are enjoying the beers fellas. I'd love to see any AHBers that want to drop in.
Hey what's the PT like in that part of the world? Say if I was flying into Coffs Harbour, is getting there without hiring a car a possibility?

Gough
Will that double IPA be going into bottles?.....please
Mike

Hey what's the PT like in that part of the world? Say if I was flying into Coffs Harbour, is getting there without hiring a car a possibility?

Public transport to Taylor's Arm is pretty limited. You could get a bus from Coffs to Macksville, but Macksville to Taylor's Arm would be difficult. I'll look into it for you at work tomorrow and see what I can come up with, but if you can afford to hire a car it'll be a LOT easier for you. Like I said, I'll check and get back to you. There is cheap accom. available at the pub if you wanted to make a night of it.

And Mike, the Icon 2IPA is slated for bottling in the next couple of months. I'll let you know an exact date when I have one, or you could check the website.

Thanks again for the interest and hope to see a few of you brewers at the pub soon. Let me know when you are coming :)

Shawn.

Gough

Shall be working in Macksville at the Hospital on Thurs....just wondering if I can sneek them 30kms up the Rd..

Last time I was at Taylors with the Missus and young bloke we had such a great time we had trouble leaving..The local band playing on the verendah with a lack of tourists was fantsastic..best night I have had in ages,,, :beerbang:

By the way my family comes from Bowraville, so I have had the pleasure of seeing the old pub when it "was" an old pub...but Taylors Arm will never change, and thats what is great about it... :rolleyes:

G'day Stu,

Bowraville eh! Was at the Bowraville races a couple of weekends ago with the kids - gotta love country race days, loadsa fun :) Nice part of the world, and the country out toward Missabotti is so green at the moment... looks like Ireland or something. Wouldn't know there was a drought on...

We are brewing and bottling and generally running flat out this week but would love to say g'day if you can make it out on the Thursday. Just let me know...

And Malnourished - I checked and it was as I thought. Basically the only public transport to Taylors Arm is the School bus in the morning and arvo... going the wrong way for you of course :lol: I could always give you a lift to Macksville and back to and from work if you can get yourself there for an early start and late finish ;) Let me know what you can organise...

Shawn.

And Malnourished - I checked and it was as I thought. Basically the only public transport to Taylors Arm is the School bus in the morning and arvo... going the wrong way for you of course :lol: I could always give you a lift to Macksville and back to and from work if you can get yourself there for an early start and late finish ;) Let me know what you can organise...
Thanks for all the help. I'm not likely to be around in the immediate future but hopefully not too far off. I'll be in touch.

Can fully-grown people seriously take the school bus? That's not a terrible idea if you stay the night...

Thanks for all the help. I'm not likely to be around in the immediate future but hopefully not too far off. I'll be in touch.

Can fully-grown people seriously take the school bus? That's not a terrible idea if you stay the night...

Might sound like a good idea, but a small bus full of hyperactive kids isn't much fun. Especially if your a little on the hung-over side.

Still, better than walking.

Yep, you can take the school bus. Lots of people in small towns use the school bus to get into town and back.

Sometimes you may have to pay a fare for the trip, but it wont be a big amount

Giddy up! Time to put my hair in pigtails and crack out the old school dress!

Damn! I drove through Macksville on my way home from Coffs last week! The missus pointed out the signs to the brewery and said "you can go if you want" in that voice that means "you can go if you want but you will never hear the end of it". With 2 kids already starting to fight in the back and many hours left to Sydney I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and decided not to. Sounds like it would have been worth the grief after all!.

I should be up that way again next year. I'll make sure I drop in.

Dave

"you can go if you want but you will never hear the end of it".

:lol: :lol: Gold!

Had you decided to "go if you want" you'd have sat there sippin' your beer whilst SWMBO says... "Nothing for me thanks". Making you feel guilty to the point of necking your pint whilst the kids agitate and knock their raspberry and lemonades over. ;)

Empathy Airgead... empathy

Warren -

I visited the 'Pub with No Beer' a week or two ago with my wife and little bloke and the beer was fantastic. The Grand Cru was the highlight. Shawn gave us a tour of the brewery, even though it was still 'in action' and he was incredibly helpful. I highly recommend a visit and will return next year when I get more holidays!!!

Pete

just having some of the nirvana pale ale for the first time. hot damn it is good stuff. seriously quality malt flavour. good work shawn.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/murrays-nirva...ale/57852/1813/

Thanks very much for the feedback, and for the review Neon - Glad you liked it :) I did actually brew that batch but can't take any credit for the recipe. Head brewer Graeme Mahy is the man responsible - he's trying to teach me what he knows... It is a hard job :lol:

Interesting you thought it showed British characteristics. We actually describe it at the pub as a 'hybrid' British and American Pale Ale style. Definitely Brit malts in the main and a Brit yeast which is giving that characteristic...

Thanks again,

Shawn.

Hi All,

Noticed in today's Daily Telegraph, an article on Murray's Brewing Co, the beers they make, and the history behing the company. The article even features our mate Gough. :D

The beers sound and look sensational!!!

Cheers,
Jase

Latest posts

Back