Murrays Brewers Secret Stash - Wild Thing!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day all,

Thanks heaps for the support and glad you are enjoying the Imperial Stout. It was a lot of fun to brew... and very damn messy! It is great that you are getting behind a beer like this. It is expensive for us to make and we didn't know how it would be recieved. Looks like we needn't have worried :beer: Aust Post has done well out of us this week, that's for sure!

The best thing about it from my point of view is that if this batch sells out I'll be able to brew a few more small batch 'specials' earlier than I thought. It is great to take a risk on doing something a bit different and having it rewarded. And apart from anything else I'm bloody happy with the beer!

Thanks again,

Shawn.
Justifiably happy. I've heard comment, from those who would know, that this is the best Strong Ale they've tasted anywhere, and it may be the best Aussie beer they have tasted.
It's certainly smooth enough, and you can expect plenty of support while you're turning out great beer like it.

It seems that you've found a niche and a very nice one too.

In no uncertain terms, I look forward to more of the same.

Hi Shawn, With Graeme off the seen does that mean,........ ahem ........ahhhh,........ you are the head kettle honcho????
I believe that it does, flop.
Respect to the previous brewer and let the new brewer reign! :beer:
(Edited by a pedant, for grammar)

Damn, Damn, Damn......

I told myself that I would never pay $143 for a carton of beer, but all these great reviews made it too difficult to stay away....

A cube ordered to look forward to tasting at the next DAG brewday in December :icon_chickcheers:

Disregard my PM yesterday Shawn :D

Look forward to receiving and tasting (and cellaring in the wine fridge - now what to throw out to make room....)

The Wild Thing hits the Far North :beerbang:

Cheers.

Hi Shawn, With Graeme off the seen does that mean,........ ahem ........ahhhh,........ you are the head kettle honcho????

:lol: Graeme left a coupla months back and yes I am now head brewer at Murray's. As for 'head kettle honcho...' Not quite sure if I can live up to that title... :blink: As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I learnt a lot from Graeme in my time working with him. He's back in NZ now and we'll no doubt be seeing some excellent beers from him shortly - can't wait to try a few myself.

Thanks again all for the feedback on the stout. It is very young at the moment although drinking well for its age. If you can cellar it well it should improve across the next year. That said, it is drinking well now... Depends how much will power you have I guess!

Shawn.

Damn, Damn, Damn......

I told myself that I would never pay $143 for a carton of beer, but all these great reviews made it too difficult to stay away....

A cube ordered to look forward to tasting at the next DAG brewday in December :icon_chickcheers:

Disregard my PM yesterday Shawn :D

Look forward to receiving and tasting (and cellaring in the wine fridge - now what to throw out to make room....)

The Wild Thing hits the Far North :beerbang:

Cheers.
Testify, brother Duff!
in the far, far North.
If you like it, you buy it. If not, you'd make it your self.
If you beg, you might get some hints on the recipe???
Shawn celebrated my State BoS beer, the so-called Grand Champion. Great name.
In return, I am helping to celebrate this beer. I hope he saves some for the World Beer titles or whatever it's called.
I hope Tony wants some for Christmas. I'm reserving some for him, and Adrian the Bullfrogg from Kanberra too.
Buy some now for people you'd like to show some appreciation to ('scuse grammar).
I hope there can be borne a regular line of the Wild Thing, and new seasonals vying for a place as a regular beer.
I'd like to see a bank of Murray's taps all around the Bay and Newcastle. Lord knows we need something better in the Florida-esque swamplands of Medowie. At the pub which wins the grammar award for "Last in Class" with the name of Bull "n" Bush.

Depends how much will power you have I guess!

Umm... That would be none... I went up today and bought a cube and an extra stubbie, by the time I made it back to MHB, it had kinda evaporated... :unsure: then another out of the cube evaporated this afternoon for research and photographical purposes

Congrats on the new gig, Shawn, I look forward to a few leisurely saturday arvo's at Bob's sampling some more of your seasonals, and congrats on a great effort with the 'Wild Thing'

Testify, brother Duff!
in the far, far North.
If you like it, you buy it. If not, you'd make it your self.
If you beg, you might get some hints on the recipe???
Shawn celebrated my State BoS beer, the so-called Grand Champion. Great name.
In return, I am helping to celebrate this beer. I hope he saves some for the World Beer titles or whatever it's called.
I hope Tony wants some for Christmas. I'm reserving some for him, and Adrian the Bullfrogg from Kanberra too.
Buy some now for people you'd like to show some appreciation to ('scuse grammar).
I hope there can be borne a regular line of the Wild Thing, and new seasonals vying for a place as a regular beer.
I'd like to see a bank of Murray's taps all around the Bay and Newcastle. Lord knows we need something better in the Florida-esque swamplands of Medowie. At the pub which wins the grammar award for "Last in Class" with the name of Bull "n" Bush.

I just had to do it Reverend Seth :p

A higher force told me "buy, buy, buy"

Just hope Australia Post don't stuff up the delivery.

If any of the hags are headed up there this weekend and up to it. Could someone grab me a cube. I'll fix you up asap. Direct deposit or cash. I unfortnately won't be able to get up there till either late tomorrow arvo if I'm lucky or next weekend. Stupid work
Lee

It's just occured to me I have quite a number of great Murrays ales at my disposal in the cellar...
15 bottles Wild Thing
14 bottles Porter
12 bottles 2IPA
around 8 Grand Cru

Once again, the offer is there for anyone who'd like to swap a beer-for-a-beer.
Otherwise i've got Chrissy for the relos figured out! :D

If any of the hags are headed up there this weekend and up to it. Could someone grab me a cube. I'll fix you up asap. Direct deposit or cash. I unfortnately won't be able to get up there till either late tomorrow arvo if I'm lucky or next weekend. Stupid work
Lee
Locking one in for you, Eddie. ..umm, Lee.
I'll pm you when I have the goods. OK?

Or, if for some reason I can't get there today ( <--Edit )

You are a dead set champ les. Thanks heaps for that. I'll send a couple of tallies of my tripel your way with payment for your err... feedback

OK, I'm back. Was advised that there were 16 cases before I collected three.
(*Edit - Big shout out to Mark and Heidi at the Winery. They looked after me well, as I sampled a beer while I took a short break, and I tried to convince a customer that he was missing a great opportunity to buy some of the Imperial Stout. Mark packed my non-IS beers into a cube for me and processed my payment and then wheeled my cases out to the car and packed them gently into the boot. Much respect to them!)

I decided to ask about the Anniversary Ale II while I was there but there was none in stock, so I decided to clean up the remaining Best Extra Porter and filled the remaining 2 bottle positions with a Pils and another Imperial Stout. No prizes for guessing what I'm drinking later today. :beerbang:

I'll catch you soon, Lee. :D

I have 8 in my box (after allocation of shares). Will put aside 2 for you, if you wish, and we'll catch up later sometime.

Cheers
Les

Les, you are too generous, you have driven up there and gone to the effort, it would be rude of me to rob you of something so good. As stupid as it is for me to say this, but you should keep them all to yourself.

but the offer was very appreciated... ill just have to pull my finger out and make an extra special trip.

Yes, a great drop - I'm desperately trying to leave my remaining bottles to age, but the call is strong....

cheers Ross

Just wondering what percentage of the grain bill is coffee beans? :p :D

I was trying to do the same, but the call is too great. I have one left, it is sitting in the cellar with a moo brew oaked stout.

I might look at replicating the Wild Thing.

I shared it with a few guys and one of them said, it's like ice cream

I did a search there doesn't seem to be a discussion on replicating the wild thing.

Any ideas?

OK, hows does this sound?

~60% Bairds GP
~ 10% Wheat malt
~15% Roasted Barley
~ 15% Chocolate Malt

might try and get ~5% crystal in there as well

80 IBU using Magnum
10IBU at 15min using EKG
10IBU at flame out using EKG

mash at 65degC for 90min

aim for 1100 OG
~1030 -1040 FG

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 at 20degC

Does black, munich, melanoidin or amber have a place in this beer?

I don't want to throw the kitchen sink at it, but I haven't done one of these before and the flavour and aroma is quite complex and layered.

I have also toyed with idea of putting 0.5g/L medium toast french oak chips in the boil. I have some that I used for a mocha character in some wines.

Yes, a great drop - I'm desperately trying to leave my remaining bottles to age, but the call is strong....

cheers Ross

10 bottles still in my wine fridge at 14C B)

Latest posts

Back