Murrays and their "no added sugar"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southcoastbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all, reading the back of Murrays label and they say the beer is all natural no added sugar carbonation... Does this mean they are adding beer to bottles before it has finished fermenting?? So the process finishes in the bottle thus causing carbonation? I thought that could cause bottle bombs and unpredictable behaviour in carbonation.. Thoughts?

Bottle conditioning is normal.
Coopers do it and don't add sugar.

Some breweries ferment in pressurised vessels and reach the desired carb level in the primary.

Technique is called krausening, and quite common.

Edit: Too slow

I wonder if this is one of the reasons why I seem to get a lot of gushers from Murrays?

sp0rk said:
I wonder if this is one of the reasons why I seem to get a lot of gushers from Murrays?
That's why I drink at the brewery instead of buying packaged beer.

heres a novel idea contact shawn at the brewery and ask him.
personally i dont think the method they use would cause bottle bombs.

barls said:
heres a novel idea contact shawn at the brewery and ask him.
personally i dont think the method they use would cause bottle bombs.
I did, he apologised and offered to send me some replacements but I said it was ok, not to worry :/

Awesome doing a bit of research on krausening now... Anyone here do it? Spork I too have had gushers, put it down to me being careless with the 4 pack at first but when it happened to me the second time after I was very careful with the bottles I put it down to my freezer, never thought of the way it was bottled till now

I would have thought "No added sugar carbonation" is what just about every brewery does. Carb their beer with CO2 in brite tanks and bottle. Its what I do with my blichmann beer gun. Same same on smaller scale.
Any beer with sediment in the bottle probably has "added sugar carbonation" e.g. just about every homebrewer that bottles.

Back