Multiple Uses Of Packet Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tones0606

Reaction score
hi all, just a really quick (hopefully) question about dry yeast US05
i have read about starters and was wondering if its possible to use 1 pack of US05 yeast for more than one use.
Currently i am using 1 pack per 20L brew. I usually brew 2 x 20L per brew day and if at all possible would like to split the yeast in half and use the one pack for my two brews?
Any problems or tips for doing this?
Thanks in advance

1 Pack of US-05 is 13g, if you only use 6.5g per 20L batch you will underpitch.

Are you stepping it up somehow first? 1 pack as is in 2 brews will most likely be underpitching.

It will ferment beer but may result in unpleasant flavours, stressed yeast or stalled ferment.

Tones, what i do is re-use the yeast. I don't split it over two batches on the same day, however, once fermentation is completed you can collect yeast from the bottom of your fermenter and use it again. Its recommended to only do this a couple of times per yeast packet.
Heres a clip i found that helped me:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you step up the yeast in a starter yes you will have heaps of yeasties ready for the job.

I find it easier if you do back to back brewing to reuse the yeast from the prior batch. Initally just pitch a pack of yeast per brew. Then to reuse just rack out the beer from the fermenter as normal, pour out approx 2/3 of the yeast cake and just pour the new wort on top of the remaining 1/3 yeast cake. If you are mixing kits, the boiling water would kill it, so in this case pour out the last 1/3 yeasties into a clean sanatise container; clean your fermenter, mix beer and pour yeastie friends into wort.

I've brewed up to a dozen brews on the same yeast cake.

QldKev

thanks for that, i no chill so next time i'll pour out 2/3 of trub and pour cube straight onto the remaining 1/3 trub in same fermenter ( do i need to clean the fermenter first?)

If you step up the yeast in a starter yes you will have heaps of yeasties ready for the job.

I find it easier if you do back to back brewing to reuse the yeast from the prior batch. Initally just pitch a pack of yeast per brew. Then to reuse just rack out the beer from the fermenter as normal, pour out approx 2/3 of the yeast cake and just pour the new wort on top of the remaining 1/3 yeast cake. If you are mixing kits, the boiling water would kill it, so in this case pour out the last 1/3 yeasties into a clean sanatise container; clean your fermenter, mix beer and pour yeastie friends into wort.

I've brewed up to a dozen brews on the same yeast cake.

QldKev

Probably better off saving some beer at the bottom or using some cooled boiled water to mix up a slurry, let it settle out covered in the fridge. You'll see three separate layers form - the creamy middle layer is what you want.

Make sure it smells OK.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

You can brew straight on an old yeast cake (although best to reduce it as Kev suggests or risk overpitching) - there's just crap besides yeast in there that it can be nice to remove.

Currently i am using 1 pack per 20L brew. I usually brew 2 x 20L per brew day and if at all possible would like to split the yeast in half and use the one pack for my two brews?
Any problems or tips for doing this?
Dry yeast is packed full of nutrients and all the things it needs to kick off and active and healthy fermentation, depending on the size stater and if you step it up, making a starter is not always beneficial to dry yeast. By the time you make the starter, buy LDME and go to the effort, its usually cheaper and better to directly use the correct amount of dried yeast.

Rather than split a pack of yeast and make a starter, you may like to look to harvest, wash and then re-pitch yeast used from the previous batch of beer. This will lower the cost but also provide a large amount of very healthy and viable yeast for you to use in your next batch.

Latest posts

Back