Muhammad Ali down for the count

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Sad to see reports that Muhammad Ali is fighting it out in a hospital in Arizona. Matter of some hours to go it seems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/03/muhammad-ali-family-gathers-as-doctors-say-condition-more-seriou/

Forget about the election, the weekend footy, the rain, your next brew. When the big man takes the final count the whole world will stop and catch its breath. End of a era.

ali1.jpg

What a man..

Changed the world, I'll always love his

No Viet Kong ever called me nigger... Stopped them all in their tracks.

One of the greatest humans to ever live.

He was and will always remain 'The Greatest'

No media hyped octagonal buffoon will ever come close

Cheers

Black Devil Dog said:
RIP.

May his soul float like a butterfly for all eternity.
And sting like a bee.
The greatest fighter of all time.
RIP Muhammad Ali

Ducatiboy stu said:
He is now down and out

RIP Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.
Not the best way to pay respects IMO- using the given name that he abandoned as he saw it as his slave name.

A great shame to hear of his death. He was a great boxer and a better man.

Unfortunatly not to many realise that was his birth name, and why he changed it

There's been a lot in the media about Ali and no doubt more to come with his forthcoming funeral service.

But if you want a 10 minute snap-shot of his life watch this tribute spoken in 1979 by Billy Crystal at Ali's retirement function.

As good for the sweep of Ali's major life events as it is for the brilliant performance by a young Billy Crystal.

https://vimeo.com/169300354

(there's talk of Crystal doing of reprise at Ali's funeral)

One of the more indepth docos on Ali is being repeated on SBS tonight. Focusses on the political/religious/social backstory rather than on the boxing. Worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

The Trials of Muhammad Ali
7:30pm - 9:10pm
Examines the life of boxer Muhammad Ali outside the ring, beginning with the announcement of his deeply held and controversial Islamic religious beliefs and the decision to change his "white man's name" of Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali. Ali refused to serve in the Vietnam War - even after his status as a conscientious objector was denied - on the grounds of protesting racial injustice at home. This documentary explores what made him such a controversial, charismatic and influential figure, not only in the sporting arena, but in world history generally.

(Note: time given is for Melb. tonight. Check local guides elsewhere (or watch later on the SBS On Demand website))

His views on how people should dress and about just who is the devil pricked my ears.

Ali always struck me as a kind of a karaoke muslim (he certainly embraced his own version of polygamy) and was somewhat duped by the likes of the charismatic Malcolm X and the philandering racist Elijah Muhammad into 'converting'. Sometimes it wasn't clear who was using who. But it was a perfect storm for the times. The fact the he turned his back on the Nation Of Islam converted to Suni in 75 seems to point to him distancing himself from the cults crackpot delusions and prejudices.
Even Angelo Dundee, his trainer of twenty years said the topic of religion rarely came up. Whatever his convictions, Ali never seemed to proselytize. Ali proved, like other truly great humanists such as Martian Luther King Jr, a mans character and nature trumps his theological predilections every time.

I still have a box set of Ali videos of his greatest fights and documentaries given to me by my old man. If you've never seen the Frazier fight in 75, its a must. Kind of bitter/sweet to watch. To champions who basically wind up running on instinct and heart.
Even though it was in the post for a while now, it still felt like a piece of history dying in real time when I heard he kicked off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrZQtqUYk4

Ali will never be forgotten, he will be an inspiration for anyone who wants to pull on a pair of gloves for future generations to come, his unique ability to dance backwards with as much confidence as going forwards and using every bit of space, I did read once that his training regime would include a 14 mile run forwards and the return trip would be run backwards.
Every one of his opponents would be made to appear they were wearing lead boots.

Latest posts

Back