Moving to tank water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing from s/steel tank and it tastes very sweet. I do have a carbon filter on the out let when it gets low, just to be safe

Cavemanbrew said:
I'm brewing from s/steel tank and it tastes very sweet. I do have a carbon filter on the out let when it gets low, just to be safe
That is simply sensible.

Unknown to me my camping canteen (2L) still had the water in it from cairns. Compared to Melbourne water that is very sweet. Rainwater is essentially free of minerals except traces from the collection/air/dust.

I've always added a little calcium chloride since my biab days though, something I recently found out helps with the mash too because of calcium.

I used to live in a place with tank water so brown it left a brown tinge to all my white t shirts after washing (they're all dyed blue now) but it made for a decent drop of beer.

Cavemanbrew said:
Do you really have an S/steel tank? how big is it? Most steel tanks are gal or "aquaplate" steel. The only problems with tank water are if you live in an urban environment, there will be pollution and birdshit from the starlings and sparrows. In most rural areas the quality is much higher than tap water in town. I've been on tank water for 20 years, never filtered and no problems, though I use dam or creek water for brewing (also unfiltered).

You will get birds shitting on your roof where ever you are,in an urban environment as you said you get starlings and sparrows,here I get both of the above as well as pigeons,parrots and the odd pelican .
Makes for a nice beer made with rainwater.:)

That's a good publication. I like the study that showed people drinking filtered rainwater had slightly higher rates of illness than unfiltered rainwater. Evidently the pathogens in bird poo are host specific, and may be beneficial for humans.

Me to.
And the tannin helps to detoxify your colon.

Back