Mouldy 15l Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
OK, left liquid (some napisan, water etc) in three of my no chill cubes - they're all mouldy inside. Do I chuck em, or do I use a couple of cups of bleach, water etc and try and clean.

I understand (now) that they should be left dry - completely my fault and bad storage.

Is there any hope for them?

Cheers - Mike

You can try napisan or bleach or caustic. One at a time, do not make a cocktail mix. I would suggest caustic. Read and follow all safety directions.

Being for no chill where you must be fanatical about cleanliness, if they do not come up spotless, get some new ones.

With my cubes, they have a good soak with napisan, making sure that they are completely full and then turned on a side so the handle gets a go around, then rinsed then turned upside down to drain and dry.

I have heard (but not tried) that throwing some fine sand in with the caustic or whatever solution and then swooshing it all around is an effective way of getting rid of those stubborn stains. :)

Oh dear I've been watching too much channel 9 over the summer.

I have heard (but not tried) that throwing some fine sand in with the caustic or whatever solution and then swooshing it all around is an effective way of getting rid of those stubborn stains. :)

Oh dear I've been watching too much channel 9 over the summer.
OUCH! sand = abrasion = places for bacteria to hide. I wouldn't do that.

Umm realise you don't want to scrub plastic with anything abrasive but I doubt that swooshing some sand with caustic would scratch the plastic. (any more than using a bottle brush or some such would do?)

Shonky

I would use bleach. It will remove mould much better than Napi-San.

I know I am a Napi-San man, but when it comes to mould, bleach is better, but needs lots of rinsing.

Napi-San is VERY, VERY good at cleaning cube or ferms that have yeast/trub scum. It just dissolves it, whereas bleach wont

Bleach wont shift trub/yeast scum, but dissolves/removes mould in an instant.

It is horses for courses.

But, if it has any pink stain on the plastic, you are screwed. The pink stain is an unshiftable stain.

the new toy i purchased the other week is perfect for removing stuff without scrubbing... high pressure cleaner!

still need to sanitise after, but it will remove anything not glued down (including mould) without being abrasive.

so me being new to this still, when you guys refer to napisan is that the powdered stuff or is there liquid stuff you use??

The non-scented powder.

Lots of folks use Homebrand Nappy Treatment Plus, it's good :super:

PZ.

Guys I work for a large whitegoods company and had some product training on washing machines.

Long story short we were adv but told not to mention this to our customers as it sounds so dodgy, that to remove grease and grime in a top loader washing machine to fill it with hot water and put 2 litres of diet coke(not any other type) in and leave over night and it will remove anything even years of grim!

Same principle obviously less coke I am sure would apply to fermentors!

Guys I work for a large whitegoods company and had some product training on washing machines.

Long story short we were adv but told not to mention this to our customers as it sounds so dodgy, that to remove grease and grime in a top loader washing machine to fill it with hot water and put 2 litres of diet coke(not any other type) in and leave over night and it will remove anything even years of grim!

Phosphoric acid does tend to work well at that sort of thing ;)

Timely. I had just this problem yesterday.

Normally I use home-brand nappy cleaner (no scent) for cubes and fermenters, but this was serious. I poured in about half a cup of bleach and filled the cube with water.

Today, voila. Clean as a whistle. Just needs a good rinse and drying in the sun. Then I'll throw in a sprinkle of Sod. Met. just to keep the bugs at bay.

One more word on bleach and nappy cleaners. Do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use any scented product. I inadvertantly cleaned a fermenter with some Napisan brand fancy stuff once and the scent (or stench) took ages to come out.

I have never had this problem with unscented generic brands (plus they are a fraction of the cost).

Any mouldy fermenters should be sent to Darren in SA....
they will be much valued for his new ventures into No Chilling. :p :lol:

Sounds right up there with dissolving teeth, eating t-bones and removing gore from roadside accidents.

haha yeah cleaning your fermenter with diet coke would probably do such a good job you'd only have the lid left

Latest posts

Back