Most interesting AU/NZ Hops...other than Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hutch said:
Another vote for Riwaka.

My best brew ever was an APA with Amarillo & Dsaaz (Riwaka), about 6 years ago, when you could still get it.
I havn't seen it available to homebrewers for at least 4 years.
Just read this and got intrigued about riwaka.

Craftbrewer has them in stock, but at $16 for 90g and no bulk sales, they'd want to be worth it.

How would you describe the flavour, and what style of beer is it best in? I want to try make a pilsner next, would these suit?

Riwaka
Wait-iti
Motueka
Topaz
Vic Secret
Ella
Summer
NZ Cascade
Super Pride for a bittering hop

New kid on the block, Engima is looking good for light fruity fans for (maybe) next season, though it's going to be limited

There's lots of new aroma varieties in the pipeline but it all takes time to develop the breed, then sufficient to market, then a couple of years to develop a demand.

They're all good when you use them in the right brew

I've not been keen on many nz fruity hops but riwaka did it for me.
Mr choat - more suited to apa/ipa. If you come across any though, I'll be the first to express surprise.

manticle said:
I've not been keen on many nz fruity hops but riwaka did it for me.
Mr choat - more suited to apa/ipa. If you come across any though, I'll be the first to express surprise.
Alright then, if its as good as you say I'll have to believe you. I'm gonna get some from craftbrewer, if they have any. Their websites usually up to date, looks like they have pellets.

If not, I have a mate coming back from kiwiland shortly, and his wife is staying for a few months, might try to get a couple down that avenue.

Edit:

Found riweka at brewers coop Auckland, at 80/kg.
Unsure if they post to aus. If they don't I may have to get some sent via friends.

Are there any customs limitations I need to know about?

Latest posts

Back