Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Does anyone have a sucessful Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale Recipe they wanna part with?

Was thinking of running with:-

Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale
Morgan's Caramalt 1kg

Not sure if it'll be any good or not

But you live & learn

Was thinking of running with:-

Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale
Morgan's Caramalt 1kg

Not sure if it'll be any good or not

But you live & learn

Put more smoked malt in it :p

Do you know how much smoked malt is in the can?

Put more smoked malt in it :p

Do you know how much smoked malt is in the can?

No idea???????

That's why I started this post hoping someone would give me some advice

Wouldn't it be too smoky???????

From my previous experience with the K+K...grab a morgans pamphlet from your LHBS, and see what they recommend to do with it, and do that first. Its usually pretty good and then you'll have an idea of where you want to go from there..

No idea???????

That's why I started this post hoping someone would give me some advice

Wouldn't it be too smoky???????

Depends on how much smoke you want??? Im reading a book on smoked beers at the mo, it can vary excessively from real smoky - up front in the palate, or not very smoky - more of a background taste which enhances other flavours...

Ales used to be made using 100% smoked malt, then people moved on to about 6 parts smoked malt and 5 parts pale, which was more enjoyable...

What sort of flavour are you going for? I think a better way would be to use pale liquid malt extract then steep some smoked malt grains, that way you can control how much smoke you have... Hard to tell with a can...

Hope this helps a bit...

Edit : Commercial breweries in Germany use about 30-40% smoked malt to make Rauchbier

I just bottled Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale a couple of weeks ago, il report back on the taste in a week or so.

put down this brew last night.

Can of Yukon Brown Smoked Ale (morgans)
1.5kg Can of liquid pale malt extract
packet of water softening salts (I am in brisbane and the bloke recommended it)

All up about 22L with a SG of 1048
The can says it will bottom out at below 1005, but that is using brewers sugar. The fella at the store said more likely to finish at 1015 or 1014.
He also said that morgans are now using a blend of 2 yeasts (can't remember which two) to widen the recommended temperature to between 15 and 30 degress. Interested to see how it goes.
Its bubbling away beautifully this morning with temp at 18 degrees... all looks tops

Never tried this one before so am seeing how it goes before changing for more of less smokyness.
Will report back if I remember when kegged.

Marlow

did one of these as my third brewing experience, used MORGANS dark crystal malt. I added a cup and a half of dex after reading the MORGANS brochure and learning elsewhere i had to add dex to get alc% up. did this next day i think, airlock hadn't kicked off yet...........dumb%$&* newbies
wort tasted like a burnt match had been dipped in smoky BBQ sauce. tried 1st one @ 5 week point (patience is a virtue), was still a bit smoky, but seemed to get smokier the longer i left it in the glass. could be me and my numb taste buds.....
3.5 months on it's lovely (at least my beer hating wife thinks so). only came out at 3.6%, but the flavour was more important to me than getting rocket fuel. only a few left now bugger it. will definatly be doing it again, may try to get some more smoke in it somehow, maybe the roasted black malt.........

Slowlearner, you reckon the smokiness left the beer with more time?
I was planning to put this one away in a keg for more than a few months before drinking but I really want that smoky flavour so may have to keep regular tastings up.
Has anyone else experianced the smokyness leaving a beer over time?
When I did an All Grain Robust Porter that was quite smoky I found that the coffee flavour lessened after a few months but the smoky and burnt falvours just kept getting more pronounced.

I threw a bottle in the fridge this arvo, had first schooner chilled, with no smoke taste at all.
2nd schooner left it in the glass for half hour or so to lose some of the chill, still no smoke taste.
this from a brew that was bottled 6/4/08
Just tastes malty.......still good by my standards......

I have had a few bottles of this smoked ale. Yeah its smoky. Its just over three weeks in the bottle and what im finding is there no virtually no head at all,(unlike my other HB beers) it quickly disappears after pouring from a jug. Maybe next time i will ad 1/2kg of dried malt to help with this any thoughts???

I just used .5kg of dextose and .5 kg Light liquid malt extract

I originally posted here looking for a K&K type clone for Tooth's Old (Brown) a while ago with no luck.
And then I was lookin for a recipe for Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale a few weeks ago on here, didn't have much luck again.

Not to worry, I couldn't find any Morgan's Yukon Brown Smoked Ale in the two LHBS in my area anyhow.

What I did find was Brewcraft Premium Imported Newcastle Brown and thought I'd give it a lash.
Just thought I'd post up my recipe and was hoping on some feedback as to how it may turn out.

I have been buying the body blends but have decided to make some dried blends of my own.
I'm not using any dried corn syrup but i hope with the extra LDME I should still have enough body.
Now I don't have any scales, so I use cup measurements and then check using the Brewcraft SG Estimator.

Brewcraft Newcastle Brown tin
4 cups LDME (approx 750grams)
3 cups Dex (approx 500grams)
(both sugars boiled in 1litre water before adding to wort)
Kit Yeast
Pitched and to be fermented at 20 degrees
OG 1040

Hope this turns out OK
Will keep you posted

Kegged the Brown Ale yesterday after 2 days in the rack with finings. Finished at 1016 from a starting point of 1048. Sat at 16-18 degrees the whole time. Came out looking clear and tasting the goods but low smokyness only detectable on aftertaste. Still a nice ale though.
Keg is being cold conditioned in fridge, already force carbed, for a week, then breaking it out at a BBQ. I think this one will end up tasting like a pretty standard ale that most can enjoy.
Will report again once I have others feedback (and of course have tasted the conditioned, carbed, cold product myself :D )
Marlow

Edit - used can of Yukon Brown Ale, 1.5kg tin of liquid pale malt extract, water softener (from LHBS guys insistence).

are there any commercial smoked ales available in bottle shops? i dont think iv ever tried one or seen one but it does sound interesting. I dont want to make 23L and find out I dont like the style.

Alright. Had the Yukon in keg partially carbed for about 10 days in the fridge after racking for 3 in secondary. Served it at BBQ on the weekend after force carbing.
Everyone who tried it liked the beer and we put away most of the keg.
However in comparison to the all grain brews we have been doing I am unimpressed. There was minimal to no smokiness in the flavour, and tasted a little watery for my liking. <_<

Don't get me wrong it was an OK drop just not great.

If i did it again I would dry hop to give some aroma (was pretty neutral), maybe try a small amount of smoked/dark grains to make it a partial and add that flavour, upgrade the yeast from the tin yeast (i know i should have done this anyway but the LHBS bloke gave me a long speel about how they have recently created this new blend of yeast that is awsome :( ).

Anyway next kit brew is gonna be my first Belgium, a saison, and I guarantee it will have more body than this one. Also, it is all going into bottles for some ageing :D

Buya

Thought I should apologise to this Brew for my earlier impatient remarks.

After about a month in keg the smoky flavour is quite pronounced and it was a hit with the blokes at a recent BBQ.

Still not my favourite, but a good brown ale that highlighted how a beer can taste smoky and still be a beer (for those who had never tried anything different)

Somewhere in the thread is a comment regarding smokiness fading with time, so I am going to try get through this one with some speed so as to not lose that edge :icon_cheers:

Back