Morgans Dockside Stout + Wheat Malt- Any Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therocko

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just discovered this site and am totally in awe of it and the master brewers on here.
I am getting back into brewing but at this stage it is k&k & partial.
Am located in Dubbo & the local hbs has been hit by the hard times and was forced to close down. I bought some of his last stocks which are the stout and wheat malt.
Have brewed stout before using dark malt and dextrose and was just wondering if this combination would detract or enhance the flavour of the stout. Has anyone out there tried this.
Any suggestions or feedback at this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark

Hello all,
Just discovered this site and am totally in awe of it and the master brewers on here.
I am getting back into brewing but at this stage it is k&k & partial.
Am located in Dubbo & the local hbs has been hit by the hard times and was forced to close down. I bought some of his last stocks which are the stout and wheat malt.
Have brewed stout before using dark malt and dextrose and was just wondering if this combination would detract or enhance the flavour of the stout. Has anyone out there tried this.
Any suggestions or feedback at this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark

yeah mate i only just joined here myself, i love dark ales but have never been that adventurous to add wheat malt. The germans make black wheat beer so i say go for it.

Well I havent done a dark kit beer in years, but since you havent had much response, Ill add a couple of cents in.

I reckon itd be a pretty good beer.

What kind of wheat malt is it? If its a can of goo, then itll probably be 60%Wheat, 40%barley (maybe 50/50). How bigs the can. If its 1.5kg, probably put something else, like quarter to half a kilo of dextrose in too. Or just make 20Lt

If its dry malt extract, it could be higer than 60/40, but Im not sure. How much do you have.

I think itll turn out a fair bit better than using dextrose. Itll have more body which is what you want for a stout. My old man makes a coopers stout with dextrose, and its rather watery compared to actual coopers stout (dont tell him that). You probably wont notice much from the wheatiness, and itll probably add some complexity that you wouldnt get from dextrose.

I say try it and see and tell us how it goes.

Well I haven't done a dark kit beer in years, but since you haven't had much response, I'll add a couple of cents in.

I reckon it'd be a pretty good beer.

What kind of wheat malt is it? If it's a can of goo, then it'll probably be 60%Wheat, 40%barley (maybe 50/50). How big's the can. If it's 1.5kg, probably put something else, like quarter to half a kilo of dextrose in too. Or just make 20Lt

If it's dry malt extract, it could be higer than 60/40, but I'm not sure. How much do you have.

I think it'll turn out a fair bit better than using dextrose. It'll have more body which is what you want for a stout. My old man makes a coopers stout with dextrose, and it's rather watery compared to actual coopers stout (don't tell him that). You probably won't notice much from the wheatiness, and it'll probably add some complexity that you wouldn't get from dextrose.

I say try it and see and tell us how it goes.
thanks for the reply. It is 1kg of Morgans Master Blend Special Concentrate Wheat Malt(as stated on can)

Yeah, that can is 60% Wheat and 40% barley malt.
Quoting: http://www.firststatebrewers.com/brewtips/maltextract.php

The wheat can and the Stout can will come out to 3.4% alcohol if you make a 23Lt batch.
3.9% if you make a 20Lt batch
5.2% for 15Lt.

Or put some dextrose or something else in too to up the fermentables.

I say definitely do it. Youre really only putting in 600g of wheat, so youll end up getting better head.

Yeah, that can is 60% Wheat and 40% barley malt.
Quoting: http://www.firststatebrewers.com/brewtips/maltextract.php

The wheat can and the Stout can will come out to 3.4% alcohol if you make a 23Lt batch.
3.9% if you make a 20Lt batch
5.2% for 15Lt.

Or put some dextrose or something else in too to up the fermentables.

I say definitely do it. You're really only putting in 600g of wheat, so you'll end up getting better head.
Thanks for that. I reckon about 500g dextrose and a few months in the bottle and it could be an interesting brew come winter time. will get back and tell how it tastes.

Back