More Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Getting some unexpected outcomes with two beers presently fermenting, and slightly concerned that it might be signs of something gone belly up. AGAIN (A few weeks ago I had a beer that ended up with acetobacter, and had to be tipped out).

No photos until tonight, but I will try to describe:

Beer 1: After one week in primary fermentation, there was a brown, caramel coloured sheet of krausen bubbles about 1/2 inch on the surface. I figured the colour was due to the dark-ish malt can used, and not too worried that it didn't settle down and drop through the brew, considering the low temps of late (it also hadnt finished fermenting, as per the gravity reading).

I gave it a bit of a stir for good measure, and transferred to secondary. Its been two weeks here, the caramel brown sheet not only reappeared almost straight away (when fermentation recommenced), but it still hasn't disapeared.

Fermentation is now finished, and I fined last night

Beer 2: Well if beer 1 is f&&ked, so is beer 2, I reused some of the trub for my Porter recipe. It took off OK, and the krausen high-tide mark is about three inches. After 2 weeks, it's still showing the same blanket of 'stuff' on the surface, and it almost identical in colour - strange considering this beer is quite a lot darker.

I havent stuck a spoon in there yet, but this stuff LOOKS like it would stick like shit to a picnic blanket (much the same way as acetobacter surface gunk)

The yeast used is S-05.

As far as taste goes, Beer one might have a slight kit twang, but no off flavours. Beer 2 also tastes OK (although any infection may be masked by the strong flavours).

Pictures tonight, but does any of this ring a bell ? I dearly hope this isn't my 'bad run' period for nasties.

if its fermented out then bottle (or keg) it up and try it again in a month, if it tastes fine keep drinking, if it tastes crap, try another noe

Hi Renegade,

Just sounds like a normal US-05 ferment to me - Don't forget ales are top fermenting yeasts & they quite often don't drop the krausen until you crash chill.
My advice, is leave the brew alone & STOP opening it up & stirring - every time you open up the fermenter & start fiddling with the brew your chances of infection increase.
Acetobacter generally forms as a spiderlike web/film across the top of your brew, what you are describing sounds like a krausen reluctant to drop.
Fingers crossed for you mate :)

Cheers Ross

Def. not Acetobacter - and I can see it through the glad wrap, I'm not going to start popping the top every day and breathing my filthy breath into it :)

I have used the same yeast (US-05) at least 8 times before, and it doesnt sit on top like this. However I have not used it under these low temperature conditions before (ie around 17 degrees) so this might play a part.

It's promising to hear that this is often a chacteristic of this yeast.

I brew most of my US-05 beers at 17c & see exactly the same - All is good :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

Thank christ for that. It would be very very uncool to throw another 50 litres after having a failed brew only a couple of weeks ago!

Come to think of it I have never brewed an ale at these temperatures, always warmer, at around 20 deg.

Many thanks Ross.

Stu

The porter mentioned above was transferred to secondary on Sunday (i know, should avoid this step! Going to ditch the process in future, and work on less post-boil crap begetting in there in the first place), and last night it started forming little white things over the surface. Waiting to see what's going on there...... pics tonight.

Out of interest, is there a pictorial database of common brewing infections ? Had a look through the articles and a quick google search, and nothing comes up (although my search criteria might be off the mark). Anyone have a bookmarked site that goes through some of the nasties ? I HAVE seen one somewhere, Im sure.

What are you sanitising the fermenter with? Starsan, Iodophor?

If you are getting infections then maybe switch to something else. I've always used a combination of Percarb for cleaning and Iodophor for sanitising and never had a real problem with infections...

Back