More Beer Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merc ,

I suppose with a nick like that you can afford a Rolls royce system, some people spend more than that on a Plasma TV

I am sure you will have endless fun with it and in ten years time you will still be using it not like the Plasma TV .

Pumpy

I am based in Melbourne and you never know I may put out a call to some local lads with experience. I have very little full mash experience! In fact never done a full mash at home but have done one at Mountain Goat one at the Dix BBQ Bar and Brewery in Vancouver (17hecs) and three at Holgate.

pay my airfare and im down there showing you the way.ive still a bit of long service and holidays owing to me. ;)

Hey Asher I read over your post again detailing your More Beer equipment - silly to say I felt envious with the system I am getting but I did. In the interests of not spending all of Mercs Own seeding money I didnt get any high tech or automation and yes it is supposed to be set up for 240v - hopefully there wont be any surprises when I get it out of the crate. After much chatting on the forums and also with Chris Graham from more beer the decision was made to leave all the tech bits off and go for a fully manual system. I imagine I could add on to the system later?

Love to see some pics of your brewery and yes I reckon I may take up your offer of advice.

Cheers

Mercs Own said:
After much chatting on the forums and also with Chris Graham from more beer the decision was made to leave all the tech bits off and go for a fully manual system. I imagine I could add on to the system later?
Cheers
[post="70797"][/post]​

Hi Paul

Sounds like what you settled on was a fairly standard 3 vessle system. IMHO this is the best way to go when starting out. It forces you to concentrate on the fundamentals of brewing because there are no high tech components to distract you or complicate the process.

Being a standard 3 vessle system, there are plenty of guys on this site who will be able to provide advice. A lot of guys have systems of a similar capacity, some use a cooler for the mash tun, some use kegs, some use catering pots, but the fundamentals are the same.

The high tech additions are cool but not necessary, we usually do it just because we can.

Good luck with the brewing.

Cheers
MAH

Put it this way Paul... First brew and maybe even the second may be a little bit daunting. However your level of experience should and most probably will jump about 50% after this.

Subsequent brews will become even easier. Contrary to what some people/texts try and tell you all-grain brewing is really quite easy given the quality and choices of ingredients we have these days.

It's just a question of how you go about it. With a bit of kit like you're about to aquire should be a walk in the park. :beer:

Make sure you post the pics when you unpack the whole thing. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interested onlookers. :lol:

Warren -

Paul, how is the peach beer selling? Is this system going to be for future beers under the Merc's Own label? You mentioned in another post that you arent very familiar with full mashes... Im just curious how you created the Peach Beer then. Or is what you are saying you don't have much experience on the large scale of things. Anyway I hope your new system goes great and you enjoy it throughly.

Scott

Gidday Scott. I am sure you can find my original post where I go in to a little detail regarding how the Peach beer came about. It is selling okay considering I have been away working for the last three months and also considering it is cold - not light ale type weather. I am still tweaking the peach beer - the third brew is on the market now but the bottle carbonation equation was a little generous my choice as the first two brews were a little under carbonated - so the current brew has plenty of gas!! If you open it up and decant and let it degass itself then it is great but straight up it is a little too fizzy.

The B3 system is for developing future recipes that I would like to release under Mercs Own and also for making beers that you could probably never release but certainly love to drink with friends or even on your own.

regards

Regency TAFE have one of those systems, the guy who uses it most says it's good but the build quality isn't quite up to scratch. I think they've had to modify it a bit to be happy with it.

Love to see some pics of your brewery and yes I reckon I may take up your offer of advice.

Cheers

Alrighty.. heres an overview of the rig as it stands at the moment...
Although I've added another bi-metal temp gauge to the boiler since these were taken....
0002.jpg

I'm buisy recruiting my first brew wench this weekend. AKA I'm getting married! So I'll be offline for a couple of weeks... but look forward to hearing about the first brew day when I return,,,,,

cheers to crafty beers

Asher for now

All the best to you and your future wife Asher. :beer:

Have a good day.

Warren -

Asher, having been married for 18 years come this December I can heartily recommend it!!

I raise my glass of Peach Ale and make a toast to you and your bride : "may your marriage be full of love, joy, health, harmony and prosperity"

Mercs Own said:
Asher, having been married for 18 years come this December I can heartily recommend it!!

I raise my glass of Peach Ale and make a toast to you and your bride : "may your marriage be full of love, joy, health, harmony and prosperity"
[post="71042"][/post]​

That is a good Toast Merc - but you left something out...

"may your marriage be one whereby you compliment each other and strive for team work together - You as the Beer God Brew the Beer - she as the Beer Goddess Pours the Beers! "

Amen :super:

last word on freight etc Thankfully I didnt have to pay duty and Customs decided not to inspect the goods after More Beer sent an express letter detailing that the system was brand new and never been tested.

Grand total came to $1449.77

I should get the gst back which will bring it down to just under a grand! I have spoken with More Beer and sent them this info so they are going to look into ways of making it cheaper - hopefully they can and then maybe a few more will make it to Aus.

Just get them to do what they did with the last package they sent me. A large box with $500 worth of brewing gear in it, they wrote "kitchen equipment, value $30" on the outside of the box, and in it came! Great service.

Guest Lurker said:
"kitchen equipment, value $30"

[post="72362"][/post]​

A box that big for the system???....you reckon they'll believe its only worth $30 :ph34r: ;)

Top stuff Merc, bummer about the freight though.
I am in the process of making a brewstand (I have the pump and the steel for the frame) and have based it on the one you are getting so I will be very interested to hear how yours goes.

Hoops

Greetings! Paul, I am glad you got your system - sorry about the extra fees. That is always a bummer to hear about. Maybe someday we can find a way around that. Shhhhh ... :ph34r: Please let me know if you have any questions. John at G&G is a good guy, and he will be abel to get ou anything you need. Cheers! :beerbang:

JP

yeah there is a way to get the shipping down.....open a B3 store in Oz....not to far from my place please....there is a new shopping complex ust opening up.....o go on........

Well I guess besides the obvious, that is ... :beerbang: Man, I love this little guy here: :beerbang: That is pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back