#@#$% Monstermill, #$%& Drill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Built a base for my monster mill & still waiting for my stainless steel hopper so made one up of card - worked a treat. Attached the drill, perfect... until it jammed. So i gave it a little more rev & accidently squeezed the trigger & locked it on. Full speed.

The base & hopper does a spin, shooting grain right across the shed all through my son's drum kit and absolutely everywhere, then the drill pulls out of my hand and spins until it runs out of cord. I'll have to dismantle his drum kit, and movea heap of stuff to clean it up. It's everywhere.

A bad workman blames his tools. #$%@ tools.

Question for MM owners -
First use of monster mill, notice that one of the side knobs adjusts the width. As i was usin it I noticed that it was turning, which meant i was getting variable width. How do you stop that? There are little screws on the side, but they stop the roller from moving.

sorry for your pain, as i know cleaning up spilt grain is a big PIA bit I had a big LOL at this :)

try to clamp your base to something that wont spin eg desk/table/workbench

ive got a monster mill too but ive never had that problem, would have been funny to see though :lol:
does that knob come out? can you unscrew it all the way? ive never tried.
but if you can might be an idea to put some teflon tape on the thread to tighten it up a bit so its not so sloppy.
that way it probably wont vibrate loose when you use it.

cheers,

stewart

lol!!!! Seriously Brett, I'm glad you never got hurt. I did laugh when I first read your post. Can't help on the knob adjustment, sounds like it wasn't tightened. I just had a vision of you with your sons kit in pieces and he walks in and catches you.

Just one of those moments when you're glad no-one was watching you be so stupid.

Unless of course you post it on the internet.

Built a base for my monster mill & still waiting for my stainless steel hopper so made one up of card - worked a treat. Attached the drill, perfect... until it jammed. So i gave it a little more rev & accidently squeezed the trigger & locked it on. Full speed.

The base & hopper does a spin, shooting grain right across the shed all through my son's drum kit and absolutely everywhere, then the drill pulls out of my hand and spins until it runs out of cord. I'll have to dismantle his drum kit, and movea heap of stuff to clean it up. It's everywhere.

A bad workman blames his tools. #$%@ tools.

Question for MM owners -
First use of monster mill, notice that one of the side knobs adjusts the width. As i was usin it I noticed that it was turning, which meant i was getting variable width. How do you stop that? There are little screws on the side, but they stop the roller from moving.

sorry to hear about this,

i see benefits in my gutless cheapo ozito, it would have stalled at the jam

Just one of those moments when you're glad no-one was watching you be so stupid.

Unless of course you post it on the internet.

1. Glad you finally got your mill.
2. Hilarious and makes me feel slightly less stupid about my myriad retarded moments
3. Why did you think you needed a power drill? Surely a cordless would be enough?

Both knobs are for adjusting the width. Each moves each side of the roller. Are there screws with wingnut things on them? They are used to hold the roller in place. Just used mine for the first time half an hour ago. Brilliant. I am using crank handle.

Have used the monster for a lot of crushing with a drill but know have it hooked up to an electric motor.

These mill work great and at 1/3 the price of the one geating all the press lately. Ive never seen the adjustment nob spin but tighten the wind screws just harder than thumb tight with a pair of pliers.

Ive found the best gap has been around the .8mm to .9mm just run a small amount of grain in first then load the hopper you should get a smooth flow.

Kleiny

Drive mine with an 18V cordless - 1 battery gets through about 9kg of grain and no jamming. I found the non cordless drill didn't have the grunt to run the monster at a low enough speed. It would go, but only if you ran it fast. The cordless will run it at 90-120 RPM where I like it.

Adjust your width with the round knobs on teh side, clamp them in place with the wing-nut type jobbies. They should no interfere with the way the rollers spin at all - if things aren't spinning freely, then its possible you have the whole kit a little out of square. The wing-nuts push everything nice and tight, and that jams your out of squareness nice and hard, which stops things spinning - when they are loose, there is enough play to let things spin.

I have my base loose.. but the base stops it being able to spin freely. Cant spin itself or wrench itself out of my hand that way. Heres some pics and a vid for your entertainment.

minstermill2.jpg
minstermill1.jpg

TB

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it reminded me of a time I was mixing some polysulphide sealant (nasty black shit) with a huge drill and mixing paddle and the trigger got locked on and the sealant decorated the floor, walls and hapless people in the room. Took hours to clean the mess. Never mind, just chalk it up to one of life's experiences.

cheers

Browndog

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor - "More power"...

I've got a clothes dryer motor sitting on my table waiting for a stand to drive my MM. :super:

5kg clothes dryer, broken filter, $0.99 on ebay!

I've occasionally seen old microwaves sitting out on the hard-rubbish collection.

Does anybody know whether one of the drive motors in a microwave is going to provide enough torque to turn a loaded mill?

Otherwise I'm going to start scouring evilbay for 99 cent broken clothes dryers, like the last poster :)

I've got a clothes dryer motor sitting on my table waiting for a stand to drive my MM. :super:

5kg clothes dryer, broken filter, $0.99 on ebay!

What is the HP rating?

-BD

What is the HP rating?

-BD

Haven't checked it, but it's a pretty hefty motor little motor. I figured if it can turn a large steel drum with 5kg of clothes in it then it should manage with my little ol' mill. I was going to go direct drive and connect it with some hydraulic hosing and two hose clamps so that if I don't get everything lined up just right it shouldn't matter. I also kept the original wiring so that it has an on off switch which I was thinking of running through a variable resistor arrangement incase it spins a little to fast at normal operating speed.

Love my monster, but had to get a new drill to power it...it powered through 17kg of grain very quickly with a great crush. but I had to hold onto the drill pretty tightly otherwise I could have ended up with grain through the garage as well...

I dont understand why the screws on the side would stop the roller. Dont they push onto an eccentric bushing? or doesn't that sit in side the knob which has the seating offset. Damnit I dont remember how it is setup now I'll have to look when I get home. Either way it shouldnt be stopped by tightening the screws - these should just clamp a non moving part.

PS thats one of the funnier stories I've heard.

Back