Monster Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
Racked off a rather bland extract AAA to secondary tonight after 4 days, and discovered a monstrous trub. The yeast (US05) was washed from the primary of an extract pale ale on Sunday. The PA's primary trub was nothing out of the ordinary, but this one's a cracker. No foul smell or off taste, but I wasn't game to use the yeastcake again, even if I could have found it. I didn't bother taking a reading at racking off, but OG was 1041. Did I need to leave it in primary longer?
Anyone got any clues to this type of occurence?

Reagards

Was it a k&K, kits & Bits, Extract, Partial or AG? I have had the same issue with partials. I have put it down to excess break material and overpitching of yeast.

Cheers
Gavo.

Edit: I am thinking not partial or AG since this is in kits & extracts.

What were the temps? sounds like the yeast dropped out along with any trub you repitched

AAA?

This just happens sometimes, the yeast behaves differently for some random reason. Don't worry about it, as long as your beer is good then it's fine.

AAA?

This just happens sometimes, the yeast behaves differently for some random reason. Don't worry about it, as long as your beer is good then it's fine.

AAA was supposed to be an American Amber Ale style with all Cascade and some medium crystal for a bit of colour, but I missed a default setting in Beersmith, and IBU's are too low. Probably suit my missus' taste, but. Even if it turns out bland as, it will still disappear pretty quick.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Latest posts

Back