Monosodium Glutamate Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
I really don't have the heart to tell her, but this seems to be a widespread mindset, possibly related to decades of pretty abysmal teaching of science in Australian schools.
It almost seems as though the most common perception now is that a compound is either 'natural' or a 'chemical'. Even accepting that this is just a clumsy way of differentiating between something found in nature versus something exiting a factory, holding the idea that one compound can be either good or bad for you depending on its synthesis pathway is a fundamental misunderstanding of science that really doesn't put someone in a position to be making claims on health and nutrition.

Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to go and eat a delicious chemical-riddled banana.

natural-products-ingredients-1.jpg

Seems referring to myself choosing not to use it and considering it an unnatural enhancer upsets people. What do I care what any of you do? None. Go for your lives. :unsure:

Processed food is so good for you. The more processing the better! What do we even need fresh food for. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get plenty of natural MSG in 3D printed foods soon.

Here's an image that shows the production process of MSG. It might remind you of another process you're familiar with.

phot1.jpg

Danscraftbeer said:
Seems referring to myself choosing not to use it and considering it an unnatural enhancer upsets people. What do I care what any of you do? None. Go for your lives. :unsure:

Processed food is so good for you. The more processing the better! What do we even need fresh food for. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get plenty of natural MSG in 3D printed foods soon.
I'm with ya on this. But that's just me as well, and we all make our own chocies.

I absolutely don't give a toss wether or not you or anyone else like/use MSG
What bothers me is the assertion "Chemical powdered concentrations are unsafe" that and the type of thinking that makes such statements possible. Remember there are people out there saying the same sort of thing about everything including BEER!

There has been lots of research done on MSG, I think on balance that unless you use massive quantities, that for most people there are no negative effects and it can taste great. Yes there are some people who have a bad reaction to MSG, does that make MSG bad, well some people have a bad reaction to Alcohol, does that make beer bad?
I would argue not, but there is a large community out here who are trying to impose serious constraints on all sorts of behaviour - always for our own good no doubt.

If you don't want to drink beer, or use MSG or make any of a hundred other life choices that's fine, its your life and as long as you aren't harming anyone else - do what you like.
What helps them is allowing wrong, unsubstantiated, unscientific ... assertions to stand as if they are fact and then use them to support an argument or to try and run your/my life.

If you don't want other people trying to run your life for you - don't help them!

Danscraftbeer said:

You're confusing someone questioning your statement/reasoning with someone saying that you can't think that way...no one said that you can't hold that opinion, but it would be better to just say "I don't like it or use it" than "I don't like it or use it because it is bad and unnatural". The first is an opinion/choice, the second is perpetuating false information, which is a blight on current society.

MHB said:
I absolutely don't give a toss wether or not you or anyone else like/use MSG
What bothers me is the assertion "Chemical powdered concentrations are unsafe" that and the type of thinking that makes such statements possible. Remember there are people out there saying the same sort of thing about everything including BEER!

There has been lots of research done on MSG, I think on balance that unless you use massive quantities, that for most people there are no negative effects and it can taste great. Yes there are some people who have a bad reaction to MSG, does that make MSG bad, well some people have a bad reaction to Alcohol, does that make beer bad?
I would argue not, but there is a large community out here who are trying to impose serious constraints on all sorts of behaviour - always for our own good no doubt.

If you don't want to drink beer, or use MSG or make any of a hundred other life choices that's fine, its your life and as long as you aren't harming anyone else - do what you like.
What helps them is allowing wrong, unsubstantiated, unscientific ... assertions to stand as if they are fact and then use them to support an argument or to try and run your/my life.

If you don't want other people trying to run your life for you - don't help them!
Took the words right out of my mouth. You can have whatever opinion that you want - that's your right through free speech. What isn't ok is perpetuating falsehoods that are asserted by poorly educated mummy bloggers, who think that they're experts about nutrition and science just because they read a poorly written news piece or two.

Rant over

Bribie G said:
Anyway, **** you Gravox Brown Onion Gravy, just a pinch lifted my Kyogle Butchery thick snags and gravy and mash and a token green to glorious levels B)
You roll up with MSG? I knew it was addictive but ferk

Haha the glorious intricacies of the English Language :lol:

I love "food controversies" and regularly infest forums and comments columns .. for example saturated fats vs healthy yummy stuff like Canola Oil:

canola oil process.png

Canola oil. GM as ****.

All you fools drinking it daily by the liter are going to pay a terrible price eventually.

I was walking past the rear of a takeaway and there were heaps of empty drums labelled "Cottola Oil", mix of Canola and Cotton Seed. Can you imagine what they spray cotton crops with, never mind the Rapeseed?

I'd grant in times past the panic over cottenseed oil may have had merit, but thats slowly changing due to GM research into pest resistant strains. Now crops not return substantially higher yields per hectare, but are more pest resistant and thus require less pesticides. The good news for xenophobes and hypochondriacs is they can still hate it because its GM.

http://cottonaustralia.com.au/cotton-library/fact-sheets/cotton-fact-file-biotechnology

Still, 'cottola' is a bit cheeky.

Just avoid trans fats where possible. Thats shit is actually more a mild toxin with no redeeming qualities.

Thank God ( or your chosen deity ) for GM cotton.

In the past cotton was sprayed with some real nasty stuff that was persistent in soils and ground water and far more toxic than any GM modification

Of course them Anti-GM nut jobs still go on about the dangers of GM cotton ( and GM anything )...etc...etc

I actually agree with some comments of people who seem to be slaming me. For what again? stealing your liberties? :lol:

I'm definitely not touching that white powder now. ;)

All in good will. I think I should elaborate. What I mean when I say safe. I consider measuring tiny quantities of powder concentrates very easy to get wrong etc. I tiny bit too much of eg: Sodium Metabisulphite in the apple juice is a bad thing etc. I pay attention to detail including why I might suffer more symptoms than usual like allergies or hay fever. I take note enough to recognize a pattern. And I don't like MSG as an intake! I do like it as a flavour but that can also be the trap into bad things. A universal thing you can throw in to taste good. Its a cheat. Plenty good food gets made without it. Don't need! Yes you can get bad reactions to many food and things.

Bribie G said:
I was walking past the rear of a takeaway and there were heaps of empty drums labelled "Cottola Oil", mix of Canola and Cotton Seed. Can you imagine what they spray cotton crops with, never mind the Rapeseed?
Farmers wouldn't dream of spraying pesticides or fungicides on wheat and barley crops ? :blink:

wereprawn said:
Farmers wouldn't dream of spraying pesticides or fungicides on wheat and barley crops ? :blink:
Actually they prefer not to.

The modern farmer is a lot different to their fore fathers, gone are the days of just spraying for the sake of spraying

Plus it is an added cost as well, and if you dont have to, its more $$$ in the pocket

Ducatiboy stu said:
Actually they prefer not to.

The modern farmer is a lot different to their fore fathers, gone are the days of just spraying for the sake of spraying

Plus it is an added cost as well, and if you dont have to, its more $$$ in the pocket
I imagine the same would apply to cotton and rapeseed ?

I'd guess most cotton grown in Australia would be GM nowadays?

Latest posts

Back