Modifying Those Little In-fridge Freezers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVOSTi

Reaction score
just wondering if i can crush the little metal freezer inside my newly aquired fridge? ideally i want it gone but it has a pipe and a sensor going to it. here is the fridge in question:

im still a bit unsure what to use the fridge for, i wanted it for kegs but i found out its only JUST too narrow to fit 2 kegs but could be good for fermenting if i get a temp controller.
on the other hand if i use my current beer fridge for kegging i lose a whole lot of storage space as i would have to remove every shelf in the fridge, and the new fridge would be too small to store any more than a case.

here is the other fridge:

any suggestions other than get a 3rd fridge? should i just be happy that the little fridge can fit one keg or should i use the big fridge for kegs and give up the space? can i crush the little freezer?

thanks in advance!

Mate from what i understand, the freezer is what makes the fridge cold, without it, the firdge would be useless. Also thoe bumps and grooves in the freezer are gas lines, you dun wanna crack them.

gibbo

That little metal freezer is the evaporator a necessary part of the refrigerators componentry, it's what transfers cold to the air inside the fridge cabinet. Have seen them bent down flat against the inside of the fridge cabinet for use as keg fridges but don't know how it was done or what care needs to be exercised.

Cheers

Screwy

As Screwy mentioned, you can bend them down along the side wall of the fridge.... but beware that you may be throwing it to the tip if it goes pear shaped. I put a bit of soft pine behind it on the curve as I went, and perservered very slowly. The aluminium is reasonably malleable. The first curve is easier than the second due to the leverage, and even when you get it down there you sort of need to hold it in place with something because it kind of wants to spring back into shape.

Like I say, be warned, my first go on mine was a success and I got cocky and told a mate it was a piece of piss and we split his and all the magic freezy gas fell out and then it was just a useless white box.

edit: The firdge I am referring to was like the one in the first pic, I am not sure if you can do much at all with the second fridge.

thanks for the replies fellas.

i guess ill have to use the big one as a keg fridge, and perhaps put in some of my own shelving so i can store bottled beers.
both fridges were free (other than a new seal on the big one which was only $50) so if i do stuff the small one its no big loss.
i think i might try to bend the freezer a little so i can fit the fermenter in the small one as at the moment im controlling fermenting temps with a bucket of cold water :)

As Screwy mentioned, you can bend them down along the side wall of the fridge.... but beware that you may be throwing it to the tip if it goes pear shaped. I put a bit of soft pine behind it on the curve as I went, and perservered very slowly. The aluminium is reasonably malleable. The first curve is easier than the second due to the leverage, and even when you get it down there you sort of need to hold it in place with something because it kind of wants to spring back into shape.

Like I say, be warned, my first go on mine was a success and I got cocky and told a mate it was a piece of piss and we split his and all the magic freezy gas fell out and then it was just a useless white box.

edit: The firdge I am referring to was like the one in the first pic, I am not sure if you can do much at all with the second fridge.
Schooey is on the mark here, it can be done but it is one of those touch things you need the right touch unfortunately exactly what the right touch is is hard to describe :huh: just enough but not too much force. Put the block of wood up in the back corner to support it and use another flat piece to push the middle section downwards and do the same thing for the bottom section.
Also be aware that the release of an ozone depleting substance is an offence under the current regulations so make sure no-one catches you if it goes pear shaped :ph34r:

I am the current owner of the fridge AusDB bent, and it works a treat, small fridge with room for three kegs.

But yeah, beware of letting the magic hissy stuff escape.

I was once moving an enromous heavy fridge on my own, from a third floor apartment. I had it strapped to a climber trolley, and headed down the stairs. After the second flight, it I just couldnt hold back the weight any more. The fridge and trolley flew down a full flight of stairs, across the landing, hit Apartment 1C, took the door off its hinges, took the heat exchanger off on the way through, and fetched up in the lounge room, spewing gas out.

The little old Ukrainian lady who lived there came running out screaming that the Russians were attacking and had gassed her.

Cost me the fridge, the front door, and a chat with the boys in blue about my actions and the environment. So yeah, keep the gas on the inside.

I am the current owner of the fridge AusDB bent, and it works a treat, small fridge with room for three kegs.

But yeah, beware of letting the magic hissy stuff escape.

I was once moving an enromous heavy fridge on my own, from a third floor apartment. I had it strapped to a climber trolley, and headed down the stairs. After the second flight, it I just couldnt hold back the weight any more. The fridge and trolley flew down a full flight of stairs, across the landing, hit Apartment 1C, took the door off its hinges, took the heat exchanger off on the way through, and fetched up in the lounge room, spewing gas out.

The little old Ukrainian lady who lived there came running out screaming that the Russians were attacking and had gassed her.

Cost me the fridge, the front door, and a chat with the boys in blue about my actions and the environment. So yeah, keep the gas on the inside.

Oh man, I cant wait to get drunk and retell this story like it is my own.

My bar fridge had the useless "freezer" too. I very carefully and slowly flattened out the plate. It works great now, and just fits any 30L fermenter.

Oh man, I cant wait to get drunk and retell this story like it is my own.

For extra colour and flavour, the fridge was so heavy it couldnt be lifted by one person. But after the police left, and I dragged it out of her lounge, there was so much adrenalin going that I picked it up with trolley attached, threw it on the back of the Landcruiser, and kicked it off at the local tip.

Its a beer for each re-telling.

Sometimes I wonder why I gave it away :huh: as it is an absolute ripper, it will also hold a 60L fermenter and get it down to lagering temps as well. But I'm no indian giver and three fridges in the shed is more than my powerbill can afford :eek:

just looking at that first fridge, you wouldn't have to flatten out the freezer plate. It could just be bent down as a unit.

Front edge of the freezer plate, brought down and towards the back of the fridge. Then it would be a U shape vertically rather than horizontally. You would still fit a fermentor or a keg in there, and you would only be bending the one little pipe rather than the whole plate.

Still, if the pipe breaks its bye bye freezer. Doable but risky.

TB

If you do use the first fridge for fermenting, you'll need to replace that glass shelf with chequer plate or similar.

Just trust me...

just looking at that first fridge, you wouldn't have to flatten out the freezer plate. It could just be bent down as a unit.

Front edge of the freezer plate, brought down and towards the back of the fridge. Then it would be a U shape vertically rather than horizontally. You would still fit a fermentor or a keg in there, and you would only be bending the one little pipe rather than the whole plate.

Still, if the pipe breaks its bye bye freezer. Doable but risky.

TB

Good idea, but sorry to burst your bubble...

The distance from the bottom of the freezer plate (the centre piece of the U) to the centreline of where the refrigerant pipe joins into it is a bit over 4 inches. So when the plate is re-arranged so that the bottom is now hard against the inside back of the cabinet, the inlet point is going to be at least 4 inches towards the fridge door from the back, therefore you need at least 4 inches of tube to reach it, plus some more for a bend etc. The drama is there is there is only about 3 inches of pipe protuding on the inside of the fridge

If you do use the first fridge for fermenting, you'll need to replace that glass shelf with chequer plate or similar.
Two cans of goo and a piece of board work well in most fridges as a shelf support, I still have the very first two cans of goo that came with my coopers kit and the second fermenter I bought. Must remember to to do a toucan with them some time I am sure it will taste great. ;)

Just trust me...

+1 here too.

I think the shelf lasted all of about 10 seconds. Still saved the batch though.

That first fridge looks like the exact same model as mine. It will hold a Coopers fermenter with no problems though you will have to rip out the shelving on the door. You can even fit a couple of 20 litre jerrycans in there if you want to to ferment a double batch. Got 40 litres of Oktoberfest in mine at the moment. :rolleyes:

gary

i was always planning on using something other than the glass shelf :)

when i get home from work i will have a look how much i would need to bend the freezer to get my fermenter in. maybe i could get a different fermenter? ive seen people with ones that look like buckets with a lid, perhaps they are shorter?

Hey EVOSTi,

my fermenting fridge is exactly the same as the one in the first pic. Didn't need to bend anything to make the fermenter fit. With an s shaped airlock attached I have about 10mm clearance below the freezer compartment.

Can post a pic this evening if you want.

gary

ill have to double check it in one hour when i am home, but i thought it didnt clear the lid.

Hmm, never looked too much into doing this, but always wanted more room in my fridge.

How hard is it to do. My beer fridge fits two kegs in it, but the tops are close to the freezer, so the beer line occasionally freezes. Also I could probably fit 3 kegs if the freezer was removed. If it were easy to bend, Id consider stuffing around with it.

My fridge is probably much easier than everyone elses as theres only one curve I need to worry about. See pic attached.

Any thoughts?

beer_fridge.jpg

Back