Mmmmmm Bacon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Im guessing 'Collar Butt' is basically the same as 'Pork Neck' Maheel, just different end of the pig???
Collar but and pork neck IMO are the same thing as pigs dont really have "necks"

it's a bit like a chuck of beef

sort of runs from the back of the head to behind the shoulder and turns in the "bad" end of the rib fillet
pork shoulder chops are mostly just the collar butt area with bone in.
meat-pork-cuts-eng.jpg

manticle said:
I have done duck proscuitto. Would do again but with black pepper rather than white.
Just followed the recipe in the book .
I use sechuan pepper in the dry cure and it's pretty good

Couldnt find anywhere else for this Q
I have rolled pancetta been drying for two weeks now
Has shown up with these mold patches in last couple of days
I unrolled to day didnt find anything on inside
Just the couple of patches on the outer edges
I washed the mold patches with vinegar and water and rehung unrolled
Was going to see if it got worse
If it does will throw out
Anyone know about the mold
Some had a green patch in it

IMG_05281.JPG
IMG_05301.JPG

Mould is not good.

Would say that there wasnt enough salt or its to wet

Just saying that from doing fermented chilli sauce. Not enough salt caused mould.

Only from reading but white mould on the outside of salami can be wiped with vinegar. Green or black mould makes cactus salami.
I'd chuck and start again.

Thought that too
Could be lack of humidity
Was pretty variable

Had a batch of fermented chili and it got small green mould spots. Scooped them out. Waste of time

Green/Black mould is not good in my book.

Moulds can create toxins from what I have read. The batch of chili with the mould smelt funny and tasted funny.

Definatly did not smell or taste right

I think green mould is ok.... Wipe it off with vinegar and continue on.... Black, yellow or red mould chuck it. White and green all good. I have taken to spraying my salami with good mould to reduce chances of bad mould. My pancetta had some white mould on the outside, all good as it was hung with salami, it does not mean it is not enough salt. If all this worries you, do not roll it and wipe off any mould you find.

Read this:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/125619-green-mold-on-dry-cured-sausages/

Beercus

Dodgy moulds can leave toxins beyond visible patches. Smell and taste are great resources if yours is developed, visual signs like black/green mould should ring warning bells.
If in doubt, throw it out.
Infected beer won't kill you, infected meat can.

SOME green moulds are Ok. Not all.

Most green moulds I would not want to play with

Green cheese mould are ok, but you have to introduce them. They are not natural

Pork belly brining ready to smoke on Christmas Eve ready for Christmas morning breakfast.

1.7kg belly
75g rock salt
5g Prague powder
15 peppercorns (blitzed up with the salt and PP to combine)
1 cup Redgum/ Blackbox honey
8 fresh bay leaves (bruised)

It'll be rinsed, dried in fridge overnight and smoked with Almond wood for ~2 hrs until 65-70C internal.
And I'll also baste a few times with honey.

Also doing a hare and duck breast terrine for our traditional cheese board meal. Can't wait.

image.jpg

I have a mean Xmas smoke up coming for Xmas also. Im hosting for the first time ever and don't have to leave the farm all day.

Muscovy Duck
Young Rooster
Lamb Leg
Pork Shoulder (slow smoked and pulled)
Ham leg im going to glaze and re-smoke.
2kg of Medium King Prawns, straight off a mates trawler Xmas morning or Xmas eve night

All but the ham and prawns are on-farm kills, keeping it all in-house :beerbang:

Anyones invited, feel free.

Its an outcast Xmas, whoever doesn't have anywhere else to go or normally celebrates by themselves is coming, there is a new neighbour here too who im thinking about inviting, homeless man living down at the bridge, hitch-hiked with his dog all the way from the Vic border and somehow ended up here.

If the food doesn't seem enough, there is still another 6 roosters and 1 duck on standby in the freezer.

Excellent Christmas sentiment, mate. Well done.

On a side note, I'm going to pretend you're slaughtering the prawns on-farm too. Reminds me of that Anthony Hopkins film 'Silence of the Prawns'. Great film !

Danwood said:
Excellent Christmas sentiment, mate. Well done.

On a side note, I'm going to pretend you're slaughtering the prawns on-farm too. Reminds me of that Anthony Hopkins film 'Silence of the Prawns'. Great film !
Shelled out a few quid to see one.

reg said:
Hey Mercs,

I also have high cholestorol.
The misses has put me onto this margarine......................................................... :eek:

Hang on a minute!!!!!!!!
:D :p
Reg,

Seriously, don't assume margarine is better for your cholesterol levels. Don't take the marketer's word for it, but read the label instead. What was marketed for years as heart-friendly was anything but because it comprised mostly hydrogenated vegetable oils, a.k.a. trans-fats. Worse than butter. Further, if the label lists "vegetable oil" as an ingredient, it's very likely the heart unfriendly palm nut oil, which is relatively solid (and cheap)

Look up the ingredients in your margarine.

I once had a UK spread that was olive oil churned in whey and sour milk. Not bad but I've never seen it here.

Another subterfuge: most of the brands of "light" butter contain less saturated fat only because they're partly air.

Re bacon: being a confirmed bacon addict with slightly elevated cholesterol I tried some "mushroom bacon" recipes on vegan websites. Really good, not to be confused with the veggie bacon and burgers in that little supermarket section.

Latest posts

Back