Mini Mash For Idiots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjn200

Reaction score
Well one idiot, me :)

I want to add 250g of rolled oats to an extract brew, apparently these need mashing (or is that to be mashed?) and not steeped. I think it's a bit like steeping but with some added base malt grains so their enzymes can convert the starch from the oats, but other than that I havent got a clue.

Can anyone give me a clue?

The beers an Irish red and does have 500g of light dry malt extract in it which I assume would need reducing because of the base malt grains.

So in a nutshell, how to do it, what grains, how much grain, how much less LDME?

Don't ask much do I?LOL

Thanks already.

G.

Oh, the oats are to give it some body nothing more.

Thats no how you make porridge!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Your understanding is pretty good.

You will need to mash the oats with a base malt that has surplus diastatic power. I'm not sure of the exact calcs myself as all my brews are totally grain based and I assume there will be enough conversion surplus within to mash any adjunct cereal I may use.

I would think that 1 kg of marris otter would both suit the brew and be ample for the conversion.

In addition, you may need to cook the oats to gelatinise prior to mashing - it depends on the kinds of oats you are using. You can also research cereal mashing (talk to BribieG or MHB about that).

Ok, so something like this:

5 Litres of water @65 in a pot.

Add oats and milled grain

Put pot in oven (mine can keep a stable 65)

Leave for 60 mins

Strain into brew pot

Rinse with a couple of litres of water @ 65

Add speciality grains and continue but omit LDME

Is that right?

gjn200 have you checked out NickJD's guide to BIAB for $30? You can learn some easy (and cheap) mash techniques from his guide and apply it to your partial.

It doesn't cover your oats question but might help you to understand the process of a simple mash.

Here's the link: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=38674

Thanks for that, I wish I could get the search function to work for me. It always gives me a million results, none of what I want.

Thanks for that, I wish I could get the search function to work for me. It always gives me a million results, none of what I want.

Know the feeling!

I second jumping straight into the BIAB method in place of a partial mash. If you go to the time and effort of mashing a few Kgs of grain, you may as well add a few more Kg and do a full mash. It does need a bit more gear, but you don't need to spend much.

If not, what you suggested is correct... only I'd chuck your specialty grain in with the oats and base grain and rinse with hotter water (75 to 78*C, boiling the tea/coffee kettle half way in and letting stand should get you close to temp).

Ignore the default search function bar and use the google function bar. You will get better results.

Ok, so something like this:

5 Litres of water @65 in a pot.

Add oats and milled grain

Put pot in oven (mine can keep a stable 65)

Leave for 60 mins

Strain into brew pot

Rinse with a couple of litres of water @ 65

Add speciality grains and continue but omit LDME

Is that right?

You want the water hotter as you need to allow for it dropping at least 10c when you add the grain, 78-80c.
If the pots big enough at the end add enough boiling water to bring it up to above 70c for 5-10 mins.
Put all the special malts in the mash aswell if theres room, no sense dealing with them seperately later.

I don't think you really even need the oats for irish red ale though but the beer will be better for the pale malt mash.

You want the water hotter as you need to allow for it dropping at least 10c when you add the grain, 78-80c. Not a problem
If the pots big enough at the end add enough boiling water to bring it up to above 70c for 5-10 mins.Yep can just turn the oven up
Put all the special malts in the mash aswell if theres room, no sense dealing with them seperately later.Did think of this, but 'they' say to steep speciality grains for 30mins, will it affect it?

I don't think you really even need the oats for irish red ale though but the beer will be better for the pale malt mash.Just experimenting really, doing one brew with,one without.

Did think of this, but 'they' say to steep speciality grains for 30mins, will it affect it?

Including the specialty malts in the mash does the same job as steeping.

Good advice from jayse to help you save time.

Back