Mini keg esky build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya probably could fit a soda stream in there I just use a mini reg but. it's only good for 2 mini 5 litre kegs minimum otherwise I just use 1keg a cooler bag with a few ice bricks and a bronco tap. Doesn't take long to empty a 5litre tho. That esky I built fits good on a trolley with a barby and chairs on top. I rarely use the drip tray anymore it takes up to much room in transit and I don't mind dripping beer at the park or other places just not at my joint lol.

Kingy said:
Ya probably could fit a soda stream in there I just use a mini reg but. it's only good for 2 mini 5 litre kegs minimum otherwise I just use 1keg a cooler bag with a few ice bricks and a bronco tap. Doesn't take long to empty a 5litre tho. That esky I built fits good on a trolley with a barby and chairs on top. I rarely use the drip tray anymore it takes up to much room in transit and I don't mind dripping beer at the park or other places just not at my joint lol.
Yeah 2 x 5L ought to be heaps for me and my mates, usually we each bring a bit and if I need more I'll bring a couple of bottles.

Though now with the small CO2 bottle and mini reg, I'll take a 19L and put it in my 56L round mash tun, it'll also serve as a backup when my main CO2 bottle runs out, so by no means to I feel it's going to waste!

Consider tailer-making to size using cheap ply & expandafoam with perhaps some aluminium angle thrown in for a bit of bling.

The example below is long gone but shows what can be done if you're willing to make the effort.

Wouldn't personally bother again with such a small volume of beer involved. Barely over 2 x growlers worth. Phttt! :p

Miracle Box .JPG

TidalPete said:
Consider tailer-making to size using cheap ply & expandafoam with perhaps some aluminium angle thrown in for a bit of bling.

The example below is long gone but shows what can be done if you're willing to make the effort.

Wouldn't personally bother again with such a small volume of beer involved. Barely over 2 x growlers worth. Phttt! :p
Maybe Mk II if I have the need :p

2 of these is really is gonna be enough for most of my crew's sessions, or after work drinks, or whatever. Other than that family events in which case there's few people who drink good beer mostly it'll be for me -_- -_-

If it's a real party I'm supplying for then like I said it'll be a 19L corny

WP_20170201_15_04_08_Pro.jpg
damoninja said:
Maybe Mk II if I have the need :p

2 of these is really is gonna be enough for most of my crew's sessions, or after work drinks, or whatever. Other than that family events in which case there's few people who drink good beer mostly it'll be for me -_- -_-

If it's a real party I'm supplying for then like I said it'll be a 19L corny
G'day damoninja, You might want to try out that KMart return policy - I was at the TTP store today and they have that model on sale for $35 now. Worth a try!
skypilot

A holes!

There's a store around the corner from me so I'll sus it out tomorrow night haha

Cheers for letting me know!

skypilot said:
G'day damoninja, You might want to try out that KMart return policy - I was at the TTP store today and they have that model on sale for $35 now. Worth a try!
skypilot
>Hi I'd like to return this

>goes and buys same product again

Put 14 bucks back in my pocket mate cheers.

First mod done. Custom made type 30 to 5/8"-18 UNF fitting, Heck yes!

Now come oooon mini kegs!

Edit: some more explanation. The fucker didn't quite fit, the fitting came a little higher than the measurements I gave but where the grey foam is I cut the plastic away with a dremel and put 2 player of compression joint foam in there, one layer has the back hollowed out to encapsulate the reg. It actually worked out good, the reg sits neatly and is held in place by the foam without much tension so it won't tip when in transit.

kegsky-reg.JPG

kegsky-full.JPG

You could have sold 9 of those custom fittings in a heart beat, and having your machinist make 10 probably would have dropped the price per unit significantly!

malt junkie said:
You could have sold 9 of those custom fittings in a heart beat, and having your machinist make 10 probably would have dropped the price per unit significantly!
I did ask about multiple and he more or less said the only thing that'd drop the price is the setup cost so wouldn't be a huge difference, though still I might put feelers out.

As a one off if I've paid a little more and other can still get it cheap I won't be annoyed, I'll still be happy to have pioneered it :p

For the record if you want STRAIGHT T30-5/8 fittings you can get them from ikegger and soon beerkat will have them.

If your willing to spend a bit more on a quality esky, keep an eye on the evakool factory seconds page.

The eagle landed today, got to marking out holes for the taps, measuring line and fitting everything up.

Lines are all snug with no leaks, will get the coke bottle and PET lid and do a wet run tomorrow. Running about 4.5 feet lines, planning on keeping dispense pressures low but if I really get pissed with it I'll bite the bullet on the FC taps and have not-buyers remorse.

Final touches will be to add a bracket to hold the gas in place as I'm not happy with it floating about, though when the lid's closed it presses against the rubber seal so should be good there... Also a flange around the shank as I discovered there's quite a lot of compression in the plastic so they do move if you twist them.

Aesthetics wise thinking it needs some sick stencils :p

esky-front.JPG

esky-front2.JPG

esky-inside1.JPG

esky-inside2.JPG

TidalPete said:

I got that of you Pete ...quite a while ago now but it is still going as strong as ever and always impresses people with the quality of the workmanship. Still has that great sticker on it as well

The Bunyip

Tony121 said:
Nice work, looks great
Cheers! Thanks again for that T piece, I did have a little trouble with those copper washers though I could never seem to get a great seal with them, bought some nylon ones from ATHB and they seem to do the trick.

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Back