Mini-fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furby83

Reaction score
hey all,

i'm just starting kegging and due to a lack of space, i'm limited to mini-kegs (5L).

i've been looking at the "party keg" rigs that have been made and was wondering if anyone has used a mini-fridge (like those plug-in car coolers/powered esky).

i would love a real kegerator but just don't have the room. :(

hey all,

i'm just starting kegging and due to a lack of space, i'm limited to mini-kegs (5L).

i've been looking at the "party keg" rigs that have been made and was wondering if anyone has used a mini-fridge (like those plug-in car coolers/powered esky).

I doubt one of those would work very well at all. I have had a play with a few of those fridges for use when travelling to keep my drinks cold, and they failed miserably. I dont think they would be much good as a keg fridge.

I have seen mini bar fridges, something like this might be a better option for you...

http://www.bar-fridges-australia.com.au/pr...products_id=483

my in laws have one of those plug in car eskys and it will keep things cold, but only when you put them in cold, it isn't very good at all at cooling things.

@clueless:
i had a look @ those types and they look too heavy for the location (on top of dryer).

@bconnery:
i have a full sized fridge freezer that i can chill down the keg in just the landlord(see parents) won't let me "improve" it.

@clueless:
i had a look @ those types and they look too heavy for the location (on top of dryer).

@bconnery:
i have a full sized fridge freezer that i can chill down the keg in just the landlord(see parents) won't let me "improve" it.

The other thing is the one they have isn't that big, not sure about the one you are looking at, and the compressor section takes up a lot of room...

If you dont have room for even one of those small mini bar fridges, then maybe now isnt the time for kegging for you. Maybe stick to bottles for now...

was thinking one of these or similar
& tapping it with this.

@clueless:
bottles take up more room. my last brew (lemonade) is bottles in 2L bottles. takes 2/3 of an 80L storage box. the other 1/3 is taken up with ginger beer in Coopers PET.

hey all,

You can or could get a gizzmo called 'Princess Beer Tap & Cooler' designed to take the 5lt Heineken kegs. I got one from KMart a couple of years ago when they cleared them out for $25. I think they usually sold for $80. Mines still boxed so I don't know how well they work, I saw a similar thing plugged in at the tip the other week & it got really cold but the tap was bust so something like that might suit your needs.

Here ya go:
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/princess-p...ken-draughtkeg/

A bit more than I paid, and you'd have to check if you could use the 5lt kegs your interested in using would work with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
was thinking one of these or similar
& tapping it with this.

@clueless:
bottles take up more room. my last brew (lemonade) is bottles in 2L bottles. takes 2/3 of an 80L storage box. the other 1/3 is taken up with ginger beer in Coopers PET.
We have one of those fridges here at work for the milk for the coffee machine. You wont fit one of those kegs in it, and it also struggles to keep the milk cold.....

There's your solution! get rid of the storage box, and put a fridge in it's place! :)

We have one of those fridges here at work for the milk for the coffee machine. You wont fit one of those kegs in it, and it also struggles to keep the milk cold.....

There's your solution! get rid of the storage box, and put a fridge in it's place! :)

+1

replace 80L box and get the small fridge BF suggested.

Or just wait until you can do it properly (like when the parents leave the house, have at the main fridge and stick the tap on the door. Once it is on, what are they going to do? Throw out a perfectly good fridge?

Cheers,
D80

storage box is in the garden shed. no power.

Or just wait until you can do it properly (like when the parents leave the house, have at the main fridge and stick the tap on the door. Once it is on, what are they going to do? Throw out a perfectly good fridge?

life is worth more than beer (not much more)

I have a little laugh to myself when people say they're limited for space. I'm managing to pull off AG brewing in my little caravan whilst travelling the country.....anything possible when u put the (drunkin) mind to it! :icon_cheers:

2011_09_30_20.09.07.jpg

Back