Mini Cool Room Vs Fermenting Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozy the clown

Reaction score
Has anyone made (or thought about) making a mini cool room? More rectangular, like a sideways fridge... Dunno, im at the point where i might buy a fridge, but if i can make (or more to the point, have made) a good six foot by 2.5 foot mini cool room might do the job.

Is this a silly proposistion? Not something big enough to walk in, justy made for four fermenters or so... :huh:

I had a search about in here but the discussion was about a cool 'room', i just want a cool 'space' without the limitations of your joe blo fridge.

someone here has exactly that with an airconditioner running the cool...

cheers

it wouldn't be difficult to make i don't think.

the material you need to get hold of is foam/polystyrene (40mm approx) that is clad on both sides by aluminium sheet.

i think though, if you're going to go to the effort of building one it should be bigger than your dimensions. (imo).

i'd go 1500mm sq by 2500mm length.

are you looking for a specific temp range?

if you're using an air con i wouldn't have thought you could obtain Lager temps.
(i could be wrong)

good idea, worth thinking about.

yard

Jayse has one that works well , and it's in the sun.
He was telling me a year and a half ago how he was going to put up some shade cloth :lol:

Batz

I have never done it myself but have a look at this link:

Mr Malty

That is the site of the guy that they have on the brewing network, Jamil Zainasheff. Apparently he is the most awarded home brewer in the USA or the world or something so he must have some kind of clue. Anway he has done something similar to what you are talking about.

Thats my next project one the bar is completed.

pannels you get them from AUSCO

I also belive that GMK HAS ONE FOR SALE .

DELBOY :D

Yeap batz its still in the sun.

For fermenting lagers i put the wort in the day before and pull the temp right down before before pitching the yeast and it works a treat.
Only 1/4 horse power aircon which was scavanged from a crane off a warf.
I use it for my keg fridge also and maintain a beer temp of around 8-12c. So perfect for fermenting lagers at the same time. I also ferment ales in there aswell since the majority of a ale ferment is over in a couple days the strongly fermenting wort doesn't get too cold, after that i pull it out for a while everyday, ussualy at nite, if it gets to cold.

I will upgrade the aircon to something bigger one day but its been working for 2 years longer than any a/c guy will tell you it will, just the same as jamil's.

As far as the power bill goes it doesn't even make a dent at all.

White summer
Jayse

cool016.jpg

croom003.jpg

croom019.jpg

croom006.jpg

I see there you suck in warm air from outside of the coolbox, any argument against having the unit inside the box?, thus sucking in cooler air and saving power (finacial controllers concern...)

Oh of course, exhaust. But is there a way to vent the exhaust and have cool air drawn into the aircon?

eeerrr umm! I think your loosing the plot sorry boozy, its a refridgerated aircon it does not take air from the outside it just cools what air is already in there!
the air is drawn in at the bottom part of the aircon from inside the cool room and comes out the top of it colder.

Singing the same old song.
Jayse

hey boozey i think your hitting the commercial stuff again sounds like a 4rex question to me :lol:

i think your thinking that the air con is a swampy .mate its refridgerated!!!!

del

eeerrr umm! :blink: Man, I knew i should have listened harder in air-com logistics class
bush-dumb.jpg

BOOZY its okay mate

when i first herd of that concept i was a bit confused to but after having a good think and then seeing a small garden shed cool room conversion .i go it and the idea was bonza i thought.

a mate of mine bought a small garden shed lined it with 4 inch foam and colourbond pannels and used a 1 1/2 hp aircon unit and thero controlled it and he keeps his wine in it .

works a treat.

delboy

yard glass said:
are you looking for a specific temp range?

if you're using an air con i wouldn't have thought you could obtain Lager temps.
(i could be wrong)

yard
[post="97267"][/post]​

i stand corrected.

nice setup jayse.

the garden shed cool room is one worth considering as well.

cheers
yardglass

Latest posts

Back