Milling Speed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes1977

Reaction score
Does anyone use a 12v drill to operate their mill, if so do you run it flat out? Or nice and slow?

I did use my mill a ryobi hammer drill a few times on my mini mill and found i had to run it flat out to get it to start crushing. It would also make the bearing come lose too so i stopped using it. Apparently paint/plaster mixing drills have the right amount of torque but the newer Ozito ones from Bunninhs have changed the chuck size so they wont take regular kind of drill bits so you cant use them.
At full speed the mill would shred the grain alot which is ok for biab but maybe not for 3v

Thanks for your feedback.... I'll stick with taking it easy then just to be safe

I tried a normal power drill and found it working too hard and either not running or going too fast. I got an ozito high torque drill from Bunnings and it works a treat. This was about 6 months ago and it fits my crankandstein 3D with a standard drill size chuck. It's a big beast and costs about 110 but probably not or the it wh n compared to the time and or cost of setting up a mill motor.

I used to use a drill, but did not like the set up and hassle. Ended up using a discarded paper shredder motor and gear box, grinds nice and slow and nothing stops it. Takes about 10 minutes to mill 7kg of grain, but the crush from the crankandstein 3 roller mill is fantastic.

Posted video of it here somewhere.... here

I have two arms hanging from my shoulders.
Mills my grain at just the right speed.
5 kg in about 5 minutes in one of the original MillMasters.

fraser_john said:
I used to use a drill, but did not like the set up and hassle. Ended up using a discarded paper shredder motor and gear box, grinds nice and slow and nothing stops it. Takes about 10 minutes to mill 7kg of grain, but the crush from the crankandstein 3 roller mill is fantastic.

Posted video of it here somewhere.... here
what sort of paper shredded is it from ?

cheers

warra48 said:
I have two arms hanging from my shoulders.
Mills my grain at just the right speed.
5 kg in about 5 minutes in one of the original MillMasters.
You and me both. My time isn't that precious that I don't have 5 - 10 minutes spare to mill a bunch of grains every couple of weeks.

Ozito spade handle drill. 1050w, high torque, adjustable speed. No grain stands a chance. 10kg in moments. Can set from 0 to 500rpm I think, trigger control too as well as a dial. Best $80 spent in brewery.

Maheel said:
what sort of paper shredded is it from ?

cheers
Cripes, no idea Maheel, made it about six years ago (at least), was just sitting out on the kerb, so grabbed it.

Latest posts

Back