Mill suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be old school. My barley crusher has lasted at least 5 years and I've never oiled the rollers ( I kept meaning to, but the rollers have never felt sticky. Ain't broke etc ). It just keeps going.

Kranky said:
I got a three roller a few years back when I first started brewing. I never got the gist of how to use it properly and I had more than one **** attack trying to use it.

Maybe I completely missed something I dont know. Basically each side of the adjustable roller fitted into an orbital knob on either side. Once out of sinc I could rarely get back into sinc, so milling was very difficult. There was nothing on the side knobs to indicate what position they were in.

Eventually one of the knobs on the side became firmly wedged into the side wall so I tried to smash the fucker out with a shifter. Goodbye mill. The rollers are still in good nick though. They're in a box somewhere in my shed.

I think they may have mad some improvements since I got mine but I wont ever get another.

I got a mashmaster mill next. Much, much easier to use but somehow I managed to snap the 3 pins holding one of the rollers in. A mate of a mate fixed it.
The way to readjust the rollers so that the gap is the same uniformly along the length of the roller is with a feeler gauge.
But it appears that this gem of information may be a little too late. :lol:

dicko said:
The way to readjust the rollers so that the gap is the same uniformly along the length of the roller is with a feeler gauge.
But it appears that this gem of information may be a little too late. :lol:
Yep lol. I just had a look at their site and it looks like the new model may be a lot easier to use.

I've got the 3 roller Crankenstein which I believe may have been the predecessor to that mill and the detent on the adjustment knobs are very weak and it is easy to adjust them unevenly unless you are very careful.
I haven't moved mine now for about 9 months and although it is not difficult I really don't intend to move them again.

mje1980 said:
I must be old school. My barley crusher has lasted at least 5 years and I've never oiled the rollers ( I kept meaning to, but the rollers have never felt sticky. Ain't broke etc ). It just keeps going.
Good to hear mje1980. I was the public defender of the Barley Crusher. I looked after it for years and it worked well for so long, but it eventually slipped, just as Nick kept telling me it would. I couldnt get it to grab even with a hand crank eventually. I still have it, but bought the Mashmaster Mini mill and love it.

A good machine shop should be able to re knurl the rollers for you.
When I bought my 3 roller Crank' Fred told me that after a few years the rollers can do with re knurling and he offered at that time a change over service for them or at least he would re do them.
The USA is a long way away to get knurling done.

I keep wondering if mine will need to be redone. As I mentioned, I've had it easily 5 years and it just keeps going. It has slipped once or twice over the years, but I just backed it off, re adjusted it, and it's worked. Cracks wheat like a boss.

Some have stainless steel rollers others have steel. Is it important to have stainless steel?

SS shouldn't rust I would assume, plus who doesn't like some more bling B)

Some have stainless steel rollers others have steel. Is it important to have stainless steel?[/quote
S/S rollers yes,they won't rust like steel ones you don't want rust contamination mixed in with the crush.
No matter how careful you are rust will happen,s/s rollers are easier to clean and if you want to crush moistened grain ( a topic some time back) the s/s rollers are the best choice and value for your money.
Cheers...spog....

spog said:
Some have stainless steel rollers others have steel. Is it important to have stainless steel?[/quote
S/S rollers yes,they won't rust like steel ones you don't want rust contamination mixed in with the crush.
No matter how careful you are rust will happen,s/s rollers are easier to clean and if you want to crush moistened grain ( a topic some time back) the s/s rollers are the best choice and value for your money.
Cheers...spog....
and there is a good chance that they won't want re knurling. :D

You will find most rollers while not being stainless are not mild steel either and are not prone to rusting unless you treat it like a canoe.
At least thats my finding, three mills non stainless and not a sign of rust.
Nev

Back