Mill suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are probably best with a purpose built malt mill when talking about those sorts of dollars.

I did a lot of research recently and arrived at a Mashmaster Mini Mill. There are lots of different mills on the market and lots of people have about 3 or 4 different varieties - you can google "Grain Mill site:aussiehomebrewer.com" to get heaps of results. I went for the Mini Mill as apparently people believe the gear drive is a real advantage over other mills.

http://www.mashmaster.com/p/4571858/mashmaster-minimill-stainless-steel-grain-mill.html

Cheers,
Idzy

Are you any good at DIY ?. If you can get some 2" knurled rollers made then the frame etc is fairly easy to make.

The mashmaster is as good you will get. For the little bit extra I would go the MM

I wouldn't go the Keg King mill again
The bearings in mine are already gummed up and starting to get a little "grindy" (in less than 1 & 1/2 sacks of grain)
Might have to look at replacing them with bushes or maybe ceramic bearings

I'd stick with either the Monster mill or if you want s/s rollers the Mash master. My little MM2 never misses a beat, has crushed tonnes of grain for me and friends. The MM2 is $127 (+$5 is you want 1/2" drive) plus post.

Another vote for the mash master. Get an ozito drill to drive it. Stainless steel and geared. I haven't put that many bags of grain through mine yet, but it is excellent.

dicko said:
This is a relatively cheap one from one of our sponsors.... Cant vouch for the quality but it comes with a hopper which is a bonus
http://onlinebrewingsupplies.com/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=247
QldKev said:
Looks like the Keg King Maltmuncher.
You could be right there Kev.
I can't believe how cheap some mills are now if compared to 10 to 12 years ago. IIR Valley Mills and Barley Crushers were around the $200 mark without a hopper and not incl freight.
Ah! cheap chinese labour! :)

I have a mashmaster mini mill. With the teeth on the rollers, itll never slip. There are two negatives I believe. It only holds 1kg of grain in the supplied hopper and the drive wont take a standard cordless drill. Its too big. Using my 240V drill it rips it up too much. I crack by hand which is fine, but does take a while to get through 10kg due to these two points. I should really build a bigger hopper...

+1 for the Mashmaster Mini. Fantastic mill, the only downside the the small hopper. I use the high-tourque Ozito spade drill to power it, got through 10kg of grain in about 5 minute.......GOLD!!

Also set the gap to about 1.1-1.2mm got the most perfect crush, husks were 90% intact the rest crushed quite finely but mash tun still drained very quickly.

I have a Barley Crusher. Works a treat and only $119 including a nice sized hopper (plus post) and it works great with my cordless. There are a couple OZ vendors for this mill, but their markup is bordering on scandalous IMO.

GalBrew said:
+1 for the Mashmaster Mini. Fantastic mill, the only downside the the small hopper.
Its not illegal to make a bigger hopper yourself.

The shaft is designed for pulleys and belts...not drills..

I'm not overly fussed by the hopper size (just pointing it out), I am happy to just keep filling it up and let the drill work it's magic. The shaft fits fine to my Ozito spade drill.

med_gallery_18048_1034_99317.jpg

OT: how many 'clicks' speed are you running it at?

GalBrew said:
+1 for the Mashmaster Mini. Fantastic mill, the only downside the the small hopper. I use the high-tourque Ozito spade drill to power it, got through 10kg of grain in about 5 minute.......GOLD!!

Also set the gap to about 1.1-1.2mm got the most perfect crush, husks were 90% intact the rest crushed quite finely but mash tun still drained very quickly.

I made a hopper out of a water cooler bottle I bought. Holds appx 6kg grain. Works really well.

At the end of 2004 I bought a 3 roller Crankenstein from the States for around $160.00. Back then it was very hard to get any US supplier to send to Ozz.

It is much easier now.
If I was looking to buy a mill and for some reason I decided to by Pass the MM2 then I would import again, seeing most US suppliers will now send to our beautiful country as we are no longer considered a "backwater" :lol: :ph34r: :unsure:

lael said:
OT: how many 'clicks' speed are you running it at?
The trigger lock it a bit shite on the drill at low speeds so I like to hold the trigger myself and run at at 3 clicks from the slowest speed available. Doesn't shear the husks, but keeps the mill going with a full hopper. Even easier if one of my many but flakey assistant brewers decide to help out and hold the trigger while I continually fill the hopper.

Thanks! Do you pre-wet / dampen or anything special?

Latest posts

Back