Microscope For Yeast Analysis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
See today that Dealsdirect have a USB microscope available here.
I've wanted an microscope for ages, but the expense of getting a good one (and the space for it) has made it prohibitive.

I'm guessing that the DD one linked above probably wouldn't be good enough as I imagine we would need about 400x for yeast, and ideally backlit.
Can any lab techs confirm ?

Beers,
Doc

talk_nerdy_to_me_new.jpg

This would not be as versatile as a backlit microscope for obtaining accurate cell counts or checking viability and I am not sure that the magnification would be sufficient (but I suspect not).

Depending on how often you want to check your yeast, I would try making contact with a local university or tafe that might have the right gear for you to use. I think they would be interested in helping a brewer out for a small reward.

These guys often have good deals on Microscopes. Last month they had some very high quality binocular lab ones for $200US.
These ones HERE some ok, but I've seen alot better on this site, but they can sell out quickly.

But I'm no expert, and I don't know if they will do what you want. Good Luck.

I've got one of those USB microscopes and would not think it would be good enough for yeast cell counts, its nothing like using the real thing in terms of what you are seeing, everything through it looks like it has a weird photoshop filter applied, its good for other stuff though

Back