Microbrewies - In Adelaide/ South Aussie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Hey all,

As you'd know by now im new brewing home brews. And i am used to the mainstream 'Mega swills' as you call them.
The most out there and different beers ive ever tried is buying a 6 pack from Dan Murphys that ive never heard of etc.

Any way, i have enojyed doing this so much etc i want to make it my hobby etc.
And i think id benifet from trying some of the smaller microbrews. Not only to have a nice beer but expand my beer pallate.
Ive found a few in and around Adelaide / SA. But can any one recommened some that are worth making the drive out to them etc?

Cheers
Adam

G'day Adam,
I'm in the same boat, having recently arrived home after being absent for 15 years in Asia. There seems to be an amazing array of micro breweries mushrooming up around Adelaide.
I'd like to see a list of these breweries and some recommended, must try brews from each one. Is there anyone who could start this list?
I've been to the Port Dock a couple of times, on the first visit I was just in time for the Pale Ale to go off line and find the staff didn't know much or were not in a sharing mood. The food, I found was pretty ordinary as well.
I got to Grumpies, and lo the pizzas were finished for the day, but on an earlier occasion the staff were most friendly and helpful
Kampai!

Hey all,

As you'd know by now im new brewing home brews. And i am used to the mainstream 'Mega swills' as you call them.
The most out there and different beers ive ever tried is buying a 6 pack from Dan Murphys that ive never heard of etc.

Any way, i have enojyed doing this so much etc i want to make it my hobby etc.
And i think id benifet from trying some of the smaller microbrews. Not only to have a nice beer but expand my beer pallate.
Ive found a few in and around Adelaide / SA. But can any one recommened some that are worth making the drive out to them etc?

Cheers
Adam

Since you are at the base of the hills check out Lobethal Bierhaus or if you are lazy you could stop halfway there at the Inglewood tavern which has there beers on tap.

There is a list - here

Although looking at that list there i notice lovely valley is still on it - avoid it like the plague. Extract/kit micro :blink:

Brewboys and Beard and Brau aren't on the list.

Steam Exchange down at Goolwa is always worth a visit.

Thanks guys!
Im actually going past Port Dock tonight might quickly drop in and have alook...

Also slightly off topic but what are these Pints worth to normal on tap beers?

Also slightly off topic but what are these Pints worth to normal on tap beers?

Adelaide 'pints' cost around $7 - $10 iirc depending on the location and beer type.

Megaswill would only be aroud $5 - $7 in Adelaide.

+1 for the Lobethal Bierhaus.

+1 for the Brewboys also.

The ginja and the strong ale at the Port Dock are worth checking out also imo.

Have just added the Woolshed Brewery, Renmark to the SA listing.

Cheers,

Wes

I visited the Port Dock in the latter half of last year. I heard that the beer may not be AG? Will admit that I was not overwhelmed with the beer.

BYB

If you want a great variety of beers and you're near the city, both the Kings Head hotel and the Wheatsheaf hotel have great varieties of beers, including SA microbrewed beer.

The staff at the Wheatsheaf at Thebarton are VERY knowledgable about beer (and whisky :) )

Back