Microbreweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moultan

Reaction score
I was looking at this flier from a micro brew house and they suggested that you refrigerate your finished beer bottles because they contain no preservatives.

Could someone please shed some light on this for me please.

Cheers and hope were all having a great chrissy..

I was looking at this flier from a micro brew house and they suggested that you refrigerate your finished beer bottles because they contain no preservatives.

Could someone please shed some light on this for me please.

Cheers and hope were all having a great chrissy..

your question is very vague, but people store their home brews at room temp to carb up and then refridgerate and drink.

If it's the brewery I'm thinking of then it's because they fill their bottles directly from the taps...

If it's the brewery I'm thinking of then it's because they fill their bottles directly from the taps...

So can you tell us what brewery you are thinking of? And do you think it has an impact on their product?

Yeah im pretty sure our home-brews don't have any preservatives ... which beers have preservatives anyway?

Dont Coopers fill there bottles directly from the tap?

Yeah im pretty sure our home-brews don't have any preservatives ... which beers have preservatives anyway?

Dont Coopers fill there bottles directly from the tap?

From my experience with "Brew Your Own" places - it is because they filter the beer fairly heavily taking out most of the yeast. When I tried a few brews at one of these places I was told the same thing - store it in the fridge.

I presume the reason they recommend this is because the beer does not have has a lot of residual yeast and it is not pasturerised like commercial beer. Hence it may be more prone to any bacterial infection taking hold. I also found that the carbonation dies off pretty quickly.

Jimmy

Aint co2 and alcohol the best preservatives known to man?! Funny ey ...

Aint co2 and alcohol the best preservatives known to man?! Funny ey ...

Then why do commercial breweries pasteurise their beers?
Is the alcohol content of a typical beer sufficent to inhibit bacterial growth?

There's not much info given in the OP, however this is what I'd take it to mean

Refrigerating the beer will ensure the flavour profile stays most similar to when it is fresh, i.e. the hop profile won't die off as quickly as it would if stored warm.

Q

I did 2 50L batches at a "Brew Your Own", drank half of it at a party, the other half turned to vinegar after 6 weeks (unrefrigerated in winter). had to pour it all out.

Apparently due to filtering all the yeast out

I did 2 50L batches at a "Brew Your Own", drank half of it at a party, the other half turned to vinegar after 6 weeks (unrefrigerated in winter). had to pour it all out.

Apparently due to filtering all the yeast out

I'd love to hear the science behind that! One group kills everything in their beer to preserve it, the other says if you remove the living thing, the beer won't keep.

cheers

Browndog

So can you tell us what brewery you are thinking of? And do you think it has an impact on their product?

2 brothers.
I've only had their beers once from the bottle & they'd been delivered from the brewery to the bottle shop the day before and were put straight in the fridge. They apparently won't sell to bottle shops who cannot guarantee the beer will be refridgerated at all times. I know they have pulled their stock from one shop that didn't have them in the fridge. So I'm guessing they think it has an impact. It's the whole no preservatives & highly filtered thing.

I'd love to hear the science behind that! One group kills everything in their beer to preserve it, the other says if you remove the living thing, the beer won't keep.

cheers

Browndog

one possibility is that their beer is exposed to o2 during filtration hence with no yeast present to metabolise the o2 it would lead to oxidised beer, warmer temp accelerating the process.

cheers

Browndog

CUB, Lion Nathan et al. want their beer to be clear. So they filter the hell out of it and pasteurise it. Beer can be stored unrefrigerated up to a certain date.

A lot of microbreweries either don't filter their beer or filter and add live yeast at bottling, thus making bottle conditioned beer. Beer can be stored unrefrigerated theoretically for a very long time.

Some microbreweries filter their beer, don't pasteurise it and don't add any live yeast. Beer should be refrigerated.

Thats my understanding anyway.

i thought that the hops where a natural preservative in beer but i could be wrong i could be thinking of something else

Hops and alcohol both HELP preserve beer. It can still go bad. Hoppier and/or stronger beers will generally last longer.

There's not much info given in the OP, however this is what I'd take it to mean

Refrigerating the beer will ensure the flavour profile stays most similar to when it is fresh, i.e. the hop profile won't die off as quickly as it would if stored warm.

Q

exactly, you can make the best beer in the world commercially but if its stored incorrectly at a retail outlet your in trouble regardless as a brewrey. all good (ready to drink) beer should be refirgarated. scares us sometimes to think how the beers stored.

Back