Mexican Cervesa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I Finally got my brew kit yesterday Whoooo :beerbang:
I put down a Mexican Cervesa and pitched the yeast at about 25 Degrees. It's been over 24 hours and the fermenter is sitting on a steady 22 degrees. There is no airlock activity or bubbling going on. There is sort of foam on the top of the brew but it's not bubbling. Does this sound ok? The OG was 1040.

Cheers,

Maxy

Sounds good to me, forget the airlock, it doesn't mean anything.

If you can get the yeast any lower do so but if not don't worry about it too much.

Are you just using the kit yeast or something different?

Hi all,
I Finally got my brew kit yesterday Whoooo :beerbang:
I put down a Mexican Cervesa and pitched the yeast at about 25 Degrees. It's been over 24 hours and the fermenter is sitting on a steady 22 degrees. There is no airlock activity or bubbling going on. There is sort of foam on the top of the brew but it's not bubbling. Does this sound ok? The OG was 1040.

Sounds like it's doing fine Maxy! I have 3 fermenters and on 1 of them seals well enough to make the airlock bubble... if the foam (Krausen) has developed, you're on your way to good brew. Make sure you leave this in the bottle for a few weeks. At least 3-4 weeks. If you want to drink sooner, maybe a darker beer...

InCider :D

Sounds good to me, forget the airlock, it doesn't mean anything.

If you can get the yeast any lower do so but if not don't worry about it too much.

Are you just using the kit yeast or something different?

Wheww that's a relief!! Thanks Slugger :beer:
I could probably get the temp down a bit with the milk bottles I have in the freezer but was worried about changing the temps too much. So you mthink it would be better to do that? I am using the yeast that came with the can.

Also for my next brew if I wanted to get the AVB up a bit what would be the best thing to add without affecting the taste too much?

Thanks again

Maxy

Sounds like it's doing fine Maxy! I have 3 fermenters and on 1 of them seals well enough to make the airlock bubble... if the foam (Krausen) has developed, you're on your way to good brew. Make sure you leave this in the bottle for a few weeks. At least 3-4 weeks. If you want to drink sooner, maybe a darker beer...

InCider :D
Thanks for your repy InCider,
I'm happy to wait for 3 to 4 weeks. As soon as I bottle this one I'll make another batch so by the time I get through my first one the second one will have been sitting for 2 months!!
.......Then again mabey not B)

Thanks for your repy InCider,
I'm happy to wait for 3 to 4 weeks. As soon as I bottle this one I'll make another batch so by the time I get through my first one the second one will have been sitting for 2 months!!
.......Then again mabey not B)
Hee hee! :D
I make my batches back to back, and try to age them 3-4 weeks. Sometimes parties and the like take a heavy toll - I am trying to make up a supply of 300 plus, but it's too warm to do too many now.. have 4 crates of 14 tallies each... and one in the fermenter...

The cerveza was a great drink at 4 weeks, but very ordinary at 2. Stouts can be necked early if need be.

Cheers,

InCider.

yeah if you have drink bottles frozen then give it a go, it won't change quickly so the drop won't hurt it. Even if you could get it down to 20 that would help a little however don't stress too much about it.

NEXT STEP: look into getting a fermenting fridge and a temp probe from mashmaster. Will change your brewing in so many ways...

yeah if you have drink bottles frozen then give it a go, it won't change quickly so the drop won't hurt it. Even if you could get it down to 20 that would help a little however don't stress too much about it.

NEXT STEP: look into getting a fermenting fridge and a temp probe from mashmaster. Will change your brewing in so many ways...

Slugger that would be awesome but due to the fact that I live in a shoebox and a very hot shoebox at that a fridge at the moment is out of the question. :(
I've got a wet towel wrapped around the fermenter, a fan on it and am using milk bottles filled with ice which has dropped the temp to 20 degrees. As long as I can keep it there I'll be happy. 18 would be ideal but I think I'd be pushing my luck!!

Hee hee! :D
I make my batches back to back, and try to age them 3-4 weeks. Sometimes parties and the like take a heavy toll - I am trying to make up a supply of 300 plus, but it's too warm to do too many now.. have 4 crates of 14 tallies each... and one in the fermenter...

The cerveza was a great drink at 4 weeks, but very ordinary at 2. Stouts can be necked early if need be.

Cheers,

InCider.

I've got 60 bottles which will be stored in a cupboard.I'm hoping I can wait for the 4 week mark but then again if I have one and it's great I don't think It will last for 4 weeks!! There will be no stout making in this house Ewwwww :p
That's just me but I hate the stuff.

Maxy

Hi there,
I checked the gravity reading of the brew I put down 6 days ago and it's 1020.
The fermenter has been sitting steadily at 18 degrees. When I took the reading there were fine bubbles rising from the bottom. Does this sound right that the gravity is still so high after 6 days?

There is a thin layer of foam on the top in fact I wouldn't even call it a layer it doesn't cover the whole top and I said it's very thin.

Cheers,

Maxy

geez ive got 3 fermenters and 6 crates that hold 24 bottles each,closest ive got to filling them was just under 4 crates full. i think i have a drinking problem :huh: nah not me i couldnt have :rolleyes:

maybe i should get another fermenter :unsure:

at this rate im drinking, im fed up with cleaning farkin bottles :angry:

keg setup comin soon cant bloody wait,

p.s the mexican turns out beutiful,as ive got 2 fermenters full now, so i have more than the usual of them

Hi there,
I checked the gravity reading of the brew I put down 6 days ago and it's 1020.
The fermenter has been sitting steadily at 18 degrees. When I took the reading there were fine bubbles rising from the bottom. Does this sound right that the gravity is still so high after 6 days?

There is a thin layer of foam on the top in fact I wouldn't even call it a layer it doesn't cover the whole top and I said it's very thin.

Cheers,

Maxy

Im brewing mine in a temp controlled fridge @ 12 deg and its been in a week...gravity is still @ 1034.

It has the same bubbles rising in the hydrometer tube as yours (means the yeasties are at play :) )

I should expect mine to take another week and a half at least for primary...

Mine also has the thin foam layer (krausen) the same as you described which only really appeared in the last 4 days...

Yours sounds fine...

KingVeeBee - u still need to clean the kegs :D

The cerveza was a great drink at 4 weeks, but very ordinary at 2.

I tried my first after a few days... ;)

After filling them all, and giving them a shake to mix in the carb. drops, I noticed one hadn't been cleaned properly (spots of dried yeast sediment on the side.) Doh!
(I'm not sure how it happened - I always rinse the bottles immediately after pouring, so I must have been distracted and it was put away before it was fully cleaned.)

It felt carbonated enough, so I cracked it open. Fortunately it wasn't tainted - I wasn't game to leave it any longer just in case. Despite it's ridiculous youth, it was a
lot better than I expected. The rest will be left in peace for a few weeks or so.

I tried my first after a few days... ;)

After filling them all, and giving them a shake to mix in the carb. drops, I noticed one hadn't been cleaned properly (spots of dried yeast sediment on the side.) Doh!
(I'm not sure how it happened - I always rinse the bottles immediately after pouring, so I must have been distracted and it was put away before it was fully cleaned.)

It felt carbonated enough, so I cracked it open. Fortunately it wasn't tainted - I wasn't game to leave it any longer just in case. Despite it's ridiculous youth, it was a
lot better than I expected. The rest will be left in peace for a few weeks or so.
i tried one after 2 days in the bottle.... way too sweet so I recapped and left it. Tried another after a week and it was great.... 2 weeks is up this saturday so they shoul dbe good by them

Make sure you leave this in the bottle for a few weeks. At least 3-4 weeks. InCider :D
Made this one as my second ever... best drinking was after 2-3 months in the bottle for mine. I've gotten hold of a second fermenter, so I think I'll rack into that for an extra week or so next time I do the cerveza.

Back