Mexican Cervesa + Lime At 2 Weeks Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzRBenson

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just got a few questions, Ive been fermenting a Mexican Cervesa at 14-18c for 2 weeks, and checked it for the first time today, it tastes fine a little week but nothing bad, however the look is a bit weird for 2 weeks.

The Beer is still very very cloudy, and there seem to be a lot of particles in the beer, Not the lime rinds either. I thought at this low temp and this amount of time, the beer would have cleared off alot.

Any ideas, I gave it a bit of movement and put it away for another week, but and ideas?

Recipe
Coopers Mexican Cervesa
2 lime rinds
2 lime juices
1 x BE2
200G Dex
US-05

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

Take a hydrometer reading. From the pictures looks like it is still fermenting and the krausen has not fallen yet.

presume the square green patch is a bag with the lime bits in it.

however the look is a bit weird for 2 weeks.

Doesn't look weird at all - looks like fermenting beer. Go by gravity readings and smell/taste not number of weeks (gravity readings priority but you need to know how to interpret them).

Yeah forgot to add the readings, My Bad.

OG: 1046
SG: 1015

It smells fine, and the bag in the left corner is the Cascade Finishing Hops.

The taste is very plain, but no bad taste or smell.

Doesn't look weird at all - looks like fermenting beer. Go by gravity readings and smell/taste not number of weeks (gravity readings priority but you need to know how to interpret them).

It smells fine, and the bag in the left corner is the Cascade Finishing Hops.

The taste is very plain, but no bad taste or smell.

Good description of Coopers Mex it is not known to be a full of flavour brew. Should be O.K. though.

Looks yummy ! .... it will interesting to see how lime addition goes at drinkign time

5 eyes

US-05 isn't the best at floccing out. Chill it down to 1C and put some Gelatin in there and leave for a few days.

Should be nice & clear after that.

Cheers, Mat.

Id like to chill it down, but its expected to be 40c every day here, and I use a swamp cooler the best I could go is about 14c

US-05 isn't the best at floccing out. Chill it down to 1C and put some Gelatin in there and leave for a few days.

Should be nice & clear after that.

Cheers, Mat.

I found when i did the cerveza it was cloudy all the time. The only time it cleared up was after a few days in the bottle.

It cleared up so well it looked like watered down beer hahah

I did same cerveza, be2, 4 limes at boil and 20g cascade hops for 10 mins. Even then i felt it was missing something. Will do the same but dry hop as well me thinks. I much prefer the Coopers Blonde as it has a bit of a beer taste and really accentuates the hops. I've done 3 blondes now slightly changing them all to experience the differences in hops and dry hopping vs boil.

Mind u the ladies seem to love the cerveza like this!

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah Im sure mine is at FG, however the cloudiness is bad, and there were some particles floating around.

Was yours super cloudy? It just doesnt seem right?

Thanks again, I don't want to dump this, but it looks so cloudy, not sure how this could come clear

I found when i did the cerveza it was cloudy all the time. The only time it cleared up was after a few days in the bottle.

It cleared up so well it looked like watered down beer hahah

I did same cerveza, be2, 4 limes at boil and 20g cascade hops for 10 mins. Even then i felt it was missing something. Will do the same but dry hop as well me thinks. I much prefer the Coopers Blonde as it has a bit of a beer taste and really accentuates the hops. I've done 3 blondes now slightly changing them all to experience the differences in hops and dry hopping vs boil.

Mind u the ladies seem to love the cerveza like this!

Time and gravity will get those things to settle (and patience). When the botttles are carbed up, put as many as you can in the fridge, upright for a week and don't shake.

Not before they are carbed though.

yep gravity and time will be ur friend

u could maybe try some finings to try and get more of the junk to settle on the bottom

also if ur tap has a sediment reducer on it this will help with some of those floaties, if ur really worried about it put a stocking over ur tap/bottler and filter it that way. I did that for a dry hop i did once where i just chucked the hops in. Worked well and didnt have one hop floaty

i would def bottle and leave sit for a few weeks. Putting in the fridge and getting them nice and cold also helps sediment settle and stick to the bottom of the bottle. My cerveza was very cloudy when i bottled and within days was completely see through

At work ATM so can't offer specifics. I did and AG lime cervesa and used a lot more limes during secondary than you have. I think for a 23L batch I used about 12 limes. Juice them all and add rinds from 1 or 2 limes at most.

Back