Messing Around With Brewsmith Software

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildschwein

Reaction score
Edit: Sorry, the thread's title shoud read "Messing around with Beersmith" but I can't figure out how to change it.

I recently downloaded a trial version of Beermith (see Beersmith) to play around with and have used it to record some of my previous recipes and conjure up some new ones. It runs well under Crossover office (a wine based program) on Linux. It's cool because you can add things to the ingredient list and program in some relevant data. So I spent the evening adding Coopers kits to the grain and extract list and put in their colour and IBU info so I could use the software to do enhanced kit and kilo recipes with some supermarket available ingredients. Here's a low alcohol sweetish style stout recipe I conjured up. I was reallly going here for a protien rich dark liquid bread brew with thick mouthfeel. Predicted alchohol is around 3.7% due, I guess, to the high content of unfermentable materials. Stout experts and afficianados tell me what you think of the following:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Coopers Stout Enhanced
Brewer: Brewlord
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: Kit + Steep + Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: Small
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 33.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Dark Dry Malt Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 14.1 %
1.70 kg Coopers Stout (65.9 SRM) Extract 47.9 %
0.05 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.8 %
0.05 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (40 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.25 kg Corn Syrup (1.0 SRM) Sugar 7.0 %
0.25 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.0 %
18.93 L London, England (hard) Water
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------

Notes:
------
Steep roasted barley, crystal, chocolate and black malts in 1.5L of 66C water for 1 hour. Strain and sparge with 500mls of hot water into brew kettle. Add oats, corn syrup, lactose and bring to the boil. Add hops and boil for 40 minutes. Careful, as the oats could make it thick and prone to burning. Remove the kettle from the heat add dark malt and then dissolve over the heat, about 5 minutes. Strain into fermenter. Add Coopers Stout kit contents and dissolve (clean out with 250mls of boiling water). Top up with water to 23L. Pitch yeast in the low 20s. Ferment out at 18-20C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would add the oats to the mash.

Not sure what result you would get by boiling them :unsure:

Kabooby :)

I would add the oats to the mash.

Not sure what result you would get by boiling them :unsure:

Yeah I realise there will be no starch to sugar conversion without a mash for the oats but I just figured it would just put a pile of unfermentable protein into the beer. It wouldn't be visually noticable because the beer is so dark anyway. I have done something similar before with popcorn and it seemed to work okay although I know it's technically incorrect.

Could always give it a go.

Maybe do two batches to compare and post the results?

Back