Melbourne Brew On Premises

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is quite a good number of the boys at my work, mainly the queer traders (read avionics) that use the local Brew for U at Wacol. I've tried a few of the beers they have brought in for me to sample and I have to say that while not being up to the standard of a well made AG, they were OK, and at the right price too. From what they tell me it seems like the social aspect is one of the big drawcards as they go there regularly for brew sessions and swap kegs between themselves. Personally I think it is a great thing for the HB industry.

cheers

Browndog

I've seen 3-4 of these type of places on my travels around Brisbane. As a "brewer" who is yet to boil a full batch it seems like a nice and controlled environment to learn those sort of skills.

A couple of drawbacks my enquiries have bought up though. Firstly, they have all said to me that once bottled the finished product needs to remain chilled or it will go off. I thought that hops were a preservative? Does the fact that it's cold-filtered as it's bottled make that much difference? Or does the beer I make go off in my garage and my taste is all in my a*** so I don't notice/care?

This leads to my second problem - how, once I've decided to spring $100-$150 for twice the volume of beer I'd brew at home (for less than half that price per bottle) what do I do with 60 (or so) tallies?

Cheers,

microbe

had a quick squzz on saturday, they put on a good brew show at the start and was funny to listen to some of the peoples converstaion "oh this beer has a lot of hops doesn't it" was a coment from one guy about a bitter that had no aroma and only malt flavour. mind you this was the only half decent beer there IMO the rest were lagers and like ArnieW said was brewed at 17C and all tasted slightly like an infection i used to have in one of my fermenters. The canning machine was very cool and it was funny to watch people try to use a superautomatica bottle capper. wasn't a fan of people filling up the can's and bottles straight from the taps tho and i'd assume the beers would go off/oxidise pretty quick using this method. asked the young lad there about what yeast they used and he told me he wasn't sure but said they were from france, later i sore him using a pack of saflager. honestly tho i shouldn't knock it to much it would be a great place for people to go who have never brewed befor in there life and would be alot of fun for a day out. personally i'd rather sit in my garage and make beer i like than the stuff they had there tho.

-Phill

BTW anyone that was there i was the young (26) chubby guy with the short beard, union hat and black "blind guardian" t-shirt

I've seen 3-4 of these type of places on my travels around Brisbane. As a "brewer" who is yet to boil a full batch it seems like a nice and controlled environment to learn those sort of skills.

A couple of drawbacks my enquiries have bought up though. Firstly, they have all said to me that once bottled the finished product needs to remain chilled or it will go off. I thought that hops were a preservative? Does the fact that it's cold-filtered as it's bottled make that much difference? Or does the beer I make go off in my garage and my taste is all in my a*** so I don't notice/care?

This leads to my second problem - how, once I've decided to spring $100-$150 for twice the volume of beer I'd brew at home (for less than half that price per bottle) what do I do with 60 (or so) tallies?

Cheers,

microbe

Microbe,

The beers are force carbonated rather than naturally carbonated & this makes a big difference in the life span of your beer, as a naturally carbonated beer is a "living" beer, whereas a force carbonated one is dead. Commercial beer is generally pasterurised, so it lasts much longer in the bottle, but a homebrew will slowly deteriorate from day 1, even though its drinkabillity may improve for a while. Keeping the beer cold (like in most kegging set ups) the beer will last many months, but warm in a garage the lifespan will be shortened dramatically.

cheers Ross

as a naturally carbonated beer is a "living" beer, whereas a force carbonated one is dead.
sorry in advance for thread hijack. does force carbonating actually kill the yeast? (assuming no filtering has taken place) I've got plans to bottle a keg of mine for long term storage and was intending on reviving the yeast with some sugar in each bottle, but if their viability is shot after force carbonating I guess I'll need to pitch more yeast

sorry in advance for thread hijack. does force carbonating actually kill the yeast? (assuming no filtering has taken place) I've got plans to bottle a keg of mine for long term storage and was intending on reviving the yeast with some sugar in each bottle, but if their viability is shot after force carbonating I guess I'll need to pitch more yeast

No, force carbonating doesn't kill the yeast - The BOP places use a sterile filter to remove all the yeast before carbonating. Whether your beer will recarbonate up or not I'm not really sure, the excess of CO2 might not be liked by the yeast, I'd guess someone like Darren should be able to answer this one.

cheers Ross

Dropped in briefly to see how things looked. 6 stainless kettles plumbed in against the back wall looked very nice. I'd love to stand in their fermenting room on a Tuesday arvo after a busy weekend and listen to dozens of airlocks blooping away in stereo!

Was in a hurry and came after the initial demonstrations so can't comment there. Took a look around for 15 minutes, pocketed one of their Corona clones and ran.

Would be good experience for people who reckon they're into beer but are yet to really get past big brewer hype. It offers an opportunity to see beer being made (albeit the abridged version without the mash), and the locals are rather encouraging of the sampling aspects!

As an interesting aside to this thread, a workmate has made an Anchor Steam Clone at the Brew for U and just by chance, I have made the same thing AG, we are going to swap some bottles and compare the difference.

cheers

BRowndog

Heard today that the U-Brew It at Kawana is for sale, any takers :lol:

Heard today that the U-Brew It at Kawana is for sale, any takers :lol:
your closer mate....hey maybe a QLD case swap consortium can buy it :party:

Brew on premise by day - big shiny home brew setup by night :ph34r:

PB

got a mates bucks tomorrow and he informaed my that he got 6 slabs from barleywornbrewers. I almost smacked him in the mouth. i told him i would have done it for cost and it would have been infinitely better. some people....
will report back on what it was like.

From taste and smell it was carlton draught clone. I expected something slightly better buti was wrong .
Technically the beer was fine. Carb levels good etc better than real carlton draught, but thats noy hatd. I didnt ask him for cost details. So all up they made fine beer but if your already brewing your own i cant see why you'd go to one of these places. In fact even if u dont brew i cant see why you'd have one of tgese places make something like carlton draught for u. Why not juat buy the shit.

Latest posts

Back