Melbourne Brew On Premises

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArnieW

Reaction score
A funny thing happened on the way home from work today ...

OK, not so funny, but noticed a sign that read "barleycornbrewers.com.au" along Huntingdale Rd a couple of minutes from home while I was literally ending a long work week.

Had a look at the web site and it turns out they claim to be Melbourne's first brew on premises establishment - opening this coming Saturday.

Being so close to them, I must drop in to have a look. I'll keep punters posted, but strangely alluring while my brewing rig is in the cocoon, weaving itself from one incarnation into a new one.

cheers, Arnie

There are a couple in Sydney, and winter last year we got one in the Hills District. The Hills Brewers had a club night there, and the setup is very good. Hopefully the Melb one is similar and is successful to get more appreciation of craftbrew happening in Oz.

Beers,
Doc

A funny thing happened on the way home from work today ...

OK, not so funny, but noticed a sign that read "barleycornbrewers.com.au" along Huntingdale Rd a couple of minutes from home while I was literally ending a long work week.

Had a look at the web site and it turns out they claim to be Melbourne's first brew on premises establishment - opening this coming Saturday.

Being so close to them, I must drop in to have a look. I'll keep punters posted, but strangely alluring while my brewing rig is in the cocoon, weaving itself from one incarnation into a new one.

cheers, Arnie
They may well be a BOP, but they won't be the first. I remember a premises in Dandenong Rd. East Malvern about 15 years ago and I think there was another in Sydney Rd. Brunswick (?) about the same time, at a guess.

They may well be a BOP, but they won't be the first. I remember a premises in Dandenong Rd. East Malvern about 15 years ago and I think there was another in Sydney Rd. Brunswick (?) about the same time, at a guess.
That sounds likely razz - not being a local I wouldn't know but they have been around the traps a long time and I'd be surprised if Hobart got one before Melbourne.

The ones I've been to up here only use extract :angry: Seems a bit pointless really

noticed there having a big open day at 2 on saturday, anyone going to go have a look? looks pretty interesting i rekon i'll be there, if only just to talk about beer (and hopefully get a few samples :) )

-Phill

I might cruise down and see what its all about.

one of these plases opened in Cairns in the last couple of weeks as well. all extract brews.. do like the canning facility , would be good to do a batch just for boating..

will drop in when I get down there next.

:beer:

Some mates of mine have done them, especially as fillers when there stocks where low. All have been tasty enough, but mostly lacking in a few areas. My mates Irish Red 'clone' was the colour of a golden ale.

Great hop taste though. They had that just right...

Assume it will work on a similar system to the Sydney brew on site places.

Being able to can your brews would be the biggest advantage I can see.
In the next few brews ill cap my 1000th tallie. The pleasure of having stocks in the shed & fridge is something to savour, but as for bottling night...

i will be heading down as well, as a friend and i were looking forward to being the first ourselves in 3 years time when we open our place, but oh well, somebody beat us to it

Les, at my the LHBS tells me there,s one opening at Kawana on the Sunshine Coast

I'm planning to get there - only 2 minutes away so no excuse - must check out the bling!

Screwtop...... any idea when they will open??? and where????

Mike

No idea, Les told me on Tuesday when I mentioned the recent closure of the Kawana HBS. Where are you Quigley?

Screwtop...... any idea when they will open??? and where????

Mike

I might have to go and see Les for the info too! Not that I'm selling out, but my mates had one in Brookvale, on Sydneys northern beaches from 1997 to 2002. So much fun. Free beer, keg hire, a place to host parties... but I had to do all their computer network/internet stuff. Easy trade!@ It was called "The Colonial Brewery". Right next door to Maccas, and across the road from the Sea Eagles home ground. It got busy :beer:

aaah... the memories
:blink:

OK, a report on the BoP.

As suspected it is an extract based business "using the best quality ingredients". They did a nice little tour of the place - quite a nice setup and simple to run. The ss kettles were nice bling at least.

The fermenting room is held at 17.5 deg C which is "ideal for fermenting both ales and lagers". OK, we'll let that slip by...

The canning gizmo was good to see in action. Basically you fill the can and then put a lid onto a machine that does some cute metal spinning to seal the bits together.

And then for the tasting ...

On tap they had a few sample recipes. The NZ lager tasted ... well ... like a thin extract brew that had soured a little. There was definitely some hop character, but it reminded me of a bad 'clean skin' beer I had last year.

OK, so the next lager was 'Hobart lager' and this was supposedly similar to Cascade. But being a Hobart boy, this was going to be interesting.

And well, the Hobart lager tasted like ... um ... NZ lager :blink: - the same thin and slightly sour flavour. The hops were a little different, but you'd need a great imagination to call it a Cascade lager clone.

It looked like their yeast range was limited to dry packets, so this would not help the cause.

To be fair, I didn't get to taste a more complex brew, but I'll wait till my own brewing rig is running again and do my own home brew on premises.

cheers, Arnie

No idea, Les told me on Tuesday when I mentioned the recent closure of the Kawana HBS. Where are you Quigley?

I heard that it was going to be in Caloundra, but that could mean anywhere in the shire as opposed to just Caloundra city

Back