Measuring Sg For Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
I put down my first kit on the 23rd of August, a Beermaker's Draught with a converter, today it hasn't bubbled much at all so I ripped some out to measure the specific gravity.

Not sure if I did it right though, I filled up the plastic tube the hydrometer came in with beer from the tap then dumped the rod in and swirled it around. It measured at 1012. I didn't get a reading of it when I first put it in the barrel. Is the tube the right tool for the job or should I be using a different vessel?

thats the right tube your using and i'd say your beer is just about finished fermenting

Although to be sure you should measure it each day, for 2-3 days to ensure the reading remains the same, if it does its ready.

and don't forget to drink whats in the tube after youve taken the measurement B)

yes the tube is the right thing to use, as mentioned previously allow 2-4 days of the same SG reading before bottling. it will do it no harm to leave it in there long as more dead yeast will drop out of it.

Thanks for your help lads!

I certainly did drink what was in the tube, it tasted pretty good but with a fresh green taste.. to be expected! It had a strong yeast aftertaste, hoping it will lost it once bottled and matured but i'm getting well excited :D

Back