Mbezi Luis Shell Center

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildebeestAttack

Reaction score
Thought I might add a quick review of my new local. The Mbezi Luis Shell Center is located on the Morogoro Rd, roughly 10 kms from the city center of Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. Not the snappiest name (my favourites have been the Manchester Executive Bar, Miami Coconut Beach Bar (in Arusha - 400km from the beach) and the Muslim Hotel - TDA may fit in there).

The Shell is quite a large establishment, typical in style of a Tanzanian Bar, with coconut leaves for roofing and no walls. There is a large dance floor with some of the biggest speakers I've ever seen, all set to the same African volume (flat out with maximum distortion - the only volume setting there is in Africa). The pool table is a little shabby, and I'm not quite sure on all the local rules just yet. However, the best feature of the Shell is the beer garden, which would be quite pleasant if it wasn't for the mosquitoes and the fear of malaria.

Beer wise there is a fair range, although nothing outstanding, but the local beers for $1 a 500mL bottle makes it extremely good value. And what's more, something I've never seen a pub do before is they give you the choice of warm or cold beer. (The warm beers are slightly cheaper, but I'm not that broke just yet).

Out of the local beers I've found the Kilimanjaro Lager to be the pick. Not unlike a few AG pilsners I've tried, just with little to no hop taste. Does contain sugar and dextrose, but not really to its detriment. Seems to suit the climate here very well.

Safari Lager is horrendous. Very much like a VB that is four years old (don't ask how I know that).

Ndovu is quite drinkable, claims to be 100% malt, and indeed tastes like it. It is a bit lighter than the others at only 4.2%, but when it is as hot as it is here you don't need the strong stuff. Still, because it tastes fuller you seem to drink it a lot slower and you never really quench your thirst. If that makes sense. Maybe someone from Darwin or Cairns will know what I'm talking about, I'm fairly new to this tropics caper.

Only thing lacking from all the beers is hop aroma. Bitterness is not overly high either. But overall for beer brewed in a third world country that has to import all of the malts and hops, it really isn't that bad.

And I've found the mother load of 500mL crown seal bottles if anyone wants some. Not sure how I could send them back to Australia though...

Latest posts

Back