Max Batch Size For 30l Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All.

What's the biggest batch size you've fermented in a 30L fermenter? I'm thinking of upping my batch size from 23L std to some more, say 27L?

all depends on your wort and yeast. A high gravity wort and a aggressive yeast will need more head room or a blow off tube installed.

Hi All.

What's the biggest batch size you've fermented in a 30L fermenter? I'm thinking of upping my batch size from 23L std to some more, say 27L?

I think you would probably get away with it if you don't let the temps get too high and ferment like crazy. I have done 25 to 26 litre batches with heaps of clearance.

all depends on your wort and yeast. A high gravity wort and a aggressive yeast will need more head room or a blow off tube installed.

Said in a nutshell.

Lagers generally ferment slowly at 10-12 C and could get away with 27-28 litres.

A wheat beer or any ale over 1.050 OG no more that 25 litres

tnd

I just brewed a westmalle triple clone off the homebrew chef's website. I did a double batch and 20L went into each 30L fermentor with Trappist high gravity yeast. It was all good for about 2 days and then it blew out the gladwrap and went everywhere! I put a lid on with blow off tube and it went for about 3 more days then calmed down.
Just an example of a high gravity wort and a crazy yeast.

You can see how high it went and kept going.

IMG_0445.jpg

:icon_cheers:

I've understood certain yeasts and high temps would be a problem but hadn't really thought about the gravity part. Thanks.

I've got some tubing and a bottle that I'll use as a fart/shart (blow off) tube. :lol:

Back