Mauribrew A-514 Characteristics?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denwa

Reaction score
Don't see this yeast in North America much, but I ran out of yeast and the only stuff I could find in town was Mauribrew Ale 514 from a U-brew place that sold me 30 grams.

Does anyone know the characteristics of this yeast? Is it clean or is it fruity etc?

If it's ultra clean I'll just use it in a lager like ale recipe but if it imparts flavor I'll brew a more colorful ale.

Dennys Brews

514 is the standard ale yeast sold in Australian made kits. Its remarkably neutral yeast over a wide temperature range 16-32 C (you will have to do your own conversion to pounds shillings and pennies). It dries well and has a long shelf life.

The problem is it is common as muck over here so it doesnt get the attention it deserves. It is used commercially as a post cold conditioning bottling yeast in part because of its neutrality.

Probably the Lager like Ale you mentioned would be the best option or any delicately flavoured beer where you want the hop or malt characters to really stand out.

MHB

Dennys Brews

514 is the standard ale yeast sold in Australian made kits. Its remarkably neutral yeast over a wide temperature range 16-32 C (you will have to do your own conversion to pounds shillings and pennies). It dries well and has a long shelf life.

The problem is it is common as muck over here so it doesnt get the attention it deserves. It is used commercially as a post cold conditioning bottling yeast in part because of its neutrality.

Probably the Lager like Ale you mentioned would be the best option or any delicately flavoured beer where you want the hop or malt characters to really stand out.

MHB

Gidday Mark,

This link may help those interested - http://www.maurivinyeast.com/upload/maurib...20Ale%20514.pdf

cheers,

Wes

(you will have to do your own conversion to pounds shillings and pennies). It dries well and has a long shelf life.

Thanks. I'll brew a helles blond or something then. So basically it's simular ot Nottingham but works in warmer temps? Perfect for out 40c weather.

In Canada we are officially Metric and have been since the 70's but somehow our building codes are still written using feet and inches.

I once asked how much a Liter of malt extract weighed and was told 3 pounds. :) (Canadian Metric system haha)

(you will have to do your own conversion to pounds shillings and pennies). It dries well and has a long shelf life.

Thanks. I'll brew a helles blond or something then. So basically it's simular ot Nottingham but works in warmer temps? Perfect for out 40c weather.

In Canada we are officially Metric and have been since the 70's but somehow our building codes are still written using feet and inches.

I once asked how much a Liter of malt extract weighed and was told 3 pounds. :) (Canadian Metric system haha)

And just for good measure, here is the data sheet for the Mauri Lager yeast -

http://www.maurivinyeast.com/upload/maurib...Lager%20497.pdf

Wes

Latest posts

Back