Mashed Too Hot = No Sugaz + Bad Flavours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
So, hypothetical scenario here... my friend has a problem, lets call him whiteduck...

He recently put a partial together using this recipe:
2.00kg Maris Otter Malt (4.5-7.0 EBC)
1.50kg Unhopped Light Malt Extract (6 EBC)
0.20kg Light Dried Malt Extract (1 EBC)
0.25kg Chocolate Malt (500-800 EBC)
0.30kg Dark Crystal Malt (90 EBC)</P> <P>28g Fuggles (5.7%) @60
18g Fuggles (5.7%) @25
28g Kent Goldings (5.0%) @5

Nottingham yeast

Predicted output:
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
IBU 24.0
EBC 37.9

Now unfortunately I... I mean he... mashed at 76 intead of 66, obviously killing off any enzyme activity before it even started, leaving only the fermentables form the extract (and possibly a lot of tannins?).

Now I can live with a midstrength brown ale, but my question is, will the 2kg of un-mashed grain make it taste like crap? I only realised last night about 2 days into fermentation so I'm wondering whether it's worth letting it finish?

I'm by no means an expert, but it may of mashed to some extent. Perhaps do a starch test to see what does?

Check out the other current thread "ALL GRAIN: initial Strike 74c instead of 65.6 ........." may give you some pointers.

I mashed a rochefort 10 clone at 78 a few weeks ago, but managed to recirc it down to abotu 68 in about 15-30 mins, it converted, and has attenuated to 1010, so I wouldl say probably dont worry

I found one of my thermometers was 7 degrees out yestereday, which explains why my last beer was so thick you could hardly drink it..........tasted ok, but very very filling. So I would say your beer will be drinkable at best

Paul

Ok it sounds like all hope is not lost. Mind you - like I said I didn't realise half way through the mash and cool it down - my strike temp was 81 for a mash starting at 76, finishing at 74... HOT.

Fingers crossed, I'll let you know how it goes. If it's really not very pleasant I might ditch it and make it again properly.

Won't be making that mistake again.

What's it taste like? EDIT: what did the sweet liquor taste like when it was boiling? What was the OG?

What's it taste like? EDIT: what did the sweet liquor taste like when it was boiling? What was the OG?

I only tasted it after I had added the extract when I had it all in the fermenter, which tasted okay - sweet, plus I could taste (what I think was) the choc grain - dark and roasty, but might have just been grainy. Must remember to taste the sweet liquor straight after the boil next time. After the mash everything definitey smelt normal?

OG was 1.048

I mashed a rochefort 10 clone at 78 a few weeks ago, but managed to recirc it down to abotu 68 in about 15-30 mins, it converted, and has attenuated to 1010, so I wouldl say probably dont worry

OT but have you made that recipe before? It looked super tasty and I'm interested in finding out how it goes/compares to the commercial product.

I only tasted it after I had added the extract when I had it all in the fermenter, which tasted okay - sweet, plus I could taste (what I think was) the choc grain - dark and roasty, but might have just been grainy. Must remember to taste the sweet liquor straight after the boil next time. After the mash everything definitey smelt normal?

OG was 1.048

If the OG was one point below intended it looks like you don't need to worry

Yeah I wasn't sure... 1.048 means the gravity is about right, but couldn't most of that gravity be made up of non-fermentables? So I might end up with a FG of 1.026 or something? It'll be interesting, but I'm more hopeful now.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll report back

Okay, this brew unfortunately had to go down the laundry sink :(

After 6 days in the fermenter I the SG was 1.022 - about what I expected assuming that most of the 1.048 starting SG was non-fermentable.

While it wasn't revolting or "off", it wasn't very nice, and had a very distinct grainy flavour. Not good grainy though - like some old, tired whole grains had been left to soak in water for 6 days. If it wasn't for the extract it probably wouldn't have tasted like beer at all.

Funny, just before I put this brew down I was reading a thread about somebody's beer getting infected and I thought to myself how lucky I was to have never lost a brew.

Anyway, I'll learn from that (won't ever forget the correct mashing temp range again) and I'm getting back on the horse - ordered more ingredients to make the same beer again, properly.

Back