First Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Okay so I'm about to do my first partial in 2 weeks time and I just wanted some feedback on the recipe and process... I'm going to use Nick JD's "Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks" BIAB method to do the mash. I don't have any brewing software so I'm not sure if the final SG, IBU, EBC would be okay I usually use inah's spreadhseet for my extract brews.

English Brown Ale

Ingredients:
2.00kg Maris Otter Malt (4.5-7.0 EBC)
1.50kg Unhopped Light Malt Extract (6 EBC)
0.25kg Chocolate Malt (500-800 EBC)
0.40kg Dark Crystal Malt (90 EBC)

28g Fuggles (5.7%) @60
18g Fuggles (5.7%) @25
25g Kent Goldings (6.6%) @5

Method:
Heat 10L of water in my stockpot to about 72 deg, then turn off heat
Get the bag into the water, add all crushed grain
Put the lid on the pot, insulate and leave for 60 minutes
Pull the bag out and tie it up, suspend over the pot, let it drain and maybe even give it a squeeze
Bring pot to the boil
Make hop additions over the following hour
Heat up can of LME
Pour contents of can of LME into pot, mix well (gently)
Pour contents of pot into fermenter (gently)
Cool to pitching temperature
Pitch yeast, we're away.

So 3 questions:
1. Is there a way (or need) to do some kind of sparging with BIAB?
2. Any comment on the hop schedule or recipe?
3. Any comment on the processl?

Thanks in advance!

make sure you remove your pot before adding LME. Scraping charcoal from the bottom of the pot aint much fun.

Your process looks sound . You can actually pour some hotter water over your bag depending on the size of your pot you could sparge with another 5-10 lt of 75* C water , or you could dunk it into another pot of 5-10lt of 78-82*C this will rinse out a few more sugars . Your hops times look good prolly add your second lot at 10 min this will give you a slightly better hop utilisation .

Yes sparging in a bucket is a way of getting a bit more efficiency. I do a full size BIAB and use a nappy bucket. Of course you have to be careful not to end up with too much wort as you then need to boil for an extended period to evaporate it down to a suitable level, and that can change the character of the beer as well as bumping up your power bills.

Latest posts

Back