Mash Tun Pics.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sosman,
Thanks for that...It looks like the sort of tap that would be good on a kettle too? I want to make sure that I dont fry the kettle tap with the triple ring burner so close to the kettle bottom.

TDA thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
TL

here is a bad pic of my b-i-b mash tun

IM002306.JPG

and one of the base of the inner bucket. The I wrap the whole thing(previous pic) in 2 layers of bubble wrap to insulate it.

IM002309.JPG

Linz,
Nice piccies - what sort of efficiency are you getting with the Zapap system?
Cheers,
TL

Trough,

Im hitting the numbers on the head or over, so I suppose Im getting in the range of 75-80%. Also the shape has a bit to add also, as the grain bed is narrow and tall rather than wide and flat, like you get with a too large an esky (re: Palmer)
But in the future I'll be joining the esky brigade myself, just dont know which yet.

TDA did you have to drill out or otherwise modify the bunghole to fit the threaded brass pipe?

My rectangular rubbermaid has a 15 mm hole after taking the bung out. I will either have to drill it out or make a custom bulk head fitting.

Actually that last post is only half true. There was a tight fitting flange in the bunghole. When I removed that the threaded brass tube fits through nicely.

sosman said:
Actually that last post is only half true. There was a tight fitting flange in the bunghole. When I removed that the threaded brass tube fits through nicely.
This is why I want the round rubbermaid coolers - I hear that they are easy to convert into mash/lauter tuns. A threaded valve, some SS Braid, some nuts and washers and a sexy SSteel tap and were up and running! ;)
The fun part is finding the round cooler b**stards here in Canberra. :rolleyes:
It looks like Melbourne or Sydney might be the go if I have to look for the round coolers - I can get the rectangular eskys no probs but I'm hunting for the round coolers like TDA's. (See separate 10 Gal Rubbermaid thread for details).

Cheers,
TL :D

TL someone mentioned that they were available in FNQ - your best bet might be to follow that one up. I have looked around a few places in Melbourne for the round ones and also rang Rubbermaid down here.

You might get lucky but it just aint esky season right now.

cheers

well i used me old esky and drilled a hole using a timber spade bit does the job easy and is a good fit

Yes a spade bit does work fine. I found that for my old esky there was too much give between the inner and outer lining so I also drilled through the outer and insulation with a hole saw and attached the tap to the inner lining only.

Back