Mash Thickness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcapach

Reaction score
G'day team,

Only very new to AG, and was thinking about the gear that I have laying around. I'm hoping to do some high gravity brews at some point and would like some opinions...

I have a 19L Coleman cooler that I have used as a mash tun. I also have a 50L kettle and a 20L HLT.

I suppose my problem lies with the amount of grain that I would need to use for a high gravity brew, and whether I would be able to do the mash in the cooler, or whether I should do a full volume BIAB in the kettle, or a combination of both.

If I use 7-8kg of grain, will my mash be too thick in the cooler?

I've not done BIAB in the kettle - but would be happy to give it a crack if need be.

What do you think?

Cheers

It seems like you would have to mash really thick to fit 8kg into the cooler, under 2L/kg? But it would definitely fit in the kettle, all you need is a suitable sized bag.

I do BIAB in a 50L pot. Works fantastically for single batches. Also works for concentrated double batches

I've had 12.5KG in the pot, but efficiency fell from about 83% to 70%

5-10KG works well

Hey,

Why dont you just scale down the recipe? You would need a beersmith/promash but its just so easy..

What I would do is just keep scaling down the recipe until the total grain quantity will fit in your mash tun.. Job done!

It might be an easy fix untill you upgrade your mash tun.

Cheers

Back