Mash Paddle Results 2004

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers and congrats to all involved. Esspecially the top five and steve for doing such a great job with this whole competion.
Iam gunna go have a drink :chug: to you all while I go tip my mash paddle on the compost. :eek: and make room for next years effort.

Cheers Jayse

Congratulations guys.
Well done Batz, Asher and Phillipa.
Good to see we have such highly skilled brewers here for us to leach information from.
Hopefully next year I'll know enough about mashing & have an AG good enough to enter.

Hoops

Top effort. Congratulations to the winner and all the placegetters.
Look out. Next year there will be more competition. :p :p

cheers

anyone got any pics of these brews? or what type of beers each of them were?

also can batz and asher post pics of their brewing setups?

cheers and congrats

Asher's very nice brewery is in the gallery section of this site , mine too come soon

Well done guys, like Johnno said.... "look out, there'll be more competition next year"

Kman, look in the gallery for Asher's and Batz brurys

chiller,
any chance of posting the locations of the top 5. I'm curious about the water profile.

cheers

Recipes'? people.
We all know we don't have secrets in the craft brewing at home world.

Jayse

Kman, All

There was a thread earlier CLICK HERE that has a pic of andrewQLD's and mine.

As for my brewing equipment. I've been mashing using a very simple 3 tier gravity fed system (25 litre batch size) for a few years. Its just an igloo cooler mash tun, a couple of 30 litre pots with valves in them and a single burner. I'll post a pic here tomorrow.....

My new brewery is in a commissioning stage as we speak (pics in the gallery). I've been working on it for 6 months or so. Its design is based around a larger 45litre HERMS system and a philosophy of "plug and play". In other words, connect it to the power, connect the hose to it and away you go. So allot less set-up time and a safer platform to work from. I've included a water filter and other bits so there's no more carrying water around, or lifting hot wort on and off burners. There's also plenty of space for upgrades, like solenoid controlled gas to the HLT so a temp can be dialled up electronically....

But don't think you need a flash brewery to make good beer (that's not the main reason I'm upgrading). As long as you know your set-up and understand the process anything is possible. I'm actually a bit scared about using the new brewery as it will be like starting out from scratch, like the first time I mashed all over again.... At least my fermentation techniques won't be changing......

Asher for now

Congratulations to all the winners! Nice to see so many of the top 5 coming from AHB!

I'd be keen to see the recipes too, or are the winners keeping them close to their chests?

I have the recipe as sent to Steve on my computer at work , I will post it when I am in again , Wednesday night

It is a simple recipe , don't get too excited

I know. It's the system, not the recipe. I'm just curious... Looking for ways to use my NZ Goldings and Aust Hallertau ;)

PoMo,
The winning recipes will probably be jealously guarded family secrets for generations to come. :D :lol: :lol:

cheers

Folks!

This has been a huge undertaking by the "Chiller" for the benefit of brewers, and our craft, involving considerable time, effort, angst and no doubt, cash.

The agreeable part about it is that there has been no chest puffing "I know more than you" posts. (not that I have seen anyway)

There has been significant critisism from many quarters regarding the comp method and just as significant support from what is arguably, more credible sources.

Given the quality and expertise of the judging panel, combined with the judging methods described. Those brewers in the top 5 can be assured that their skills are right up there in blue ribbon land.

Just a point to make for the brewers. Please share what is is that you do, share where you got the ideas from and expand the knowledge base for all to enjoy.. Don't keep it to yourself.

Take a bow Chiller.. Well done

We are happy to support further comps!
Regards
Dave Stewart

I think 3/4 of the challenge was in working out what the target style of beer was to be.

Then the fun part to brew it.

I am speaking from someone who did not enter....

But , i take my hat off to chiller - it takes balls, guts, lots of effort and beers to run a comp.

One suggestion that i think would be better would have been to at least tell everyone how the judging was to be conducted.
Also, the judges seem to kept secret - why so?

As a member of the canberra brewers and entered a few comps, we allways publish the full results and list the judges as well.

IMHO it makes for a more open forum and removes any perception of bad publicity.

Might enter next year if i can work out what type of beer to brew - my first guess of the Monty Python holy Grail Ale was way off the mark aperently.
Also, i had no idea from the comp specs taht there was a commercial beer as reference and that was Budwieser....
;)

But very well done Steve!

GMK said:
I am speaking from someone who did not enter....

[snip]

One suggestion that i think would be better would have been to at least tell everyone how the judging was to be conducted.
Also, the judges seem to kept secret - why so?

As a member of the canberra brewers and entered a few comps, we allways publish the full results and list the judges as well.

IMHO it makes for a more open forum and removes any perception of bad publicity.

[snip]

Also, i had no idea from the comp specs taht there was a commercial beer as reference and that was Budwieser....
;)

But very well done Steve!
Crikey people go on!!!!!

The judges weren't secret -- no-one wore hoods.

Reference beer.... GMK you are so full of @#@t.

I wanted a tasteless ordourless colourless beer and the reason for that you was not as a reference but as a warmup for all the judging panel to see where they were scoring particular aspects of the beer.

I judged the same beer independant of the judges and after their scores were averaged I compared mine.

Average from judges 44

My score 44.

Reference beer -- give me strength.

I don't need to explain the judging process to you or anyone else. It was an exceedingly fair, exceedingly compitent and exceedingly unbiased approach to a competition that was taken very seriously by all those who entered and those who gave their support.

I care not how you or anyone else chooses to run a competition Ken. When you organise, off your own bat a national All Grain comp and get entries that are excellent quality then and only then do you have the priveledge to "suggest" how things should be done. How you did/do things in Canberra is of no consequence. The last comp they ran was the nationals and was very well done. Did they seek your approval for how things were done?

If you cannot understand why a winner was announced and then listing in no particular order the top five beers you have missed the point entirely.

Are you insinuating the comp is somehow dodgy GMK? Be careful.

Someone once said opinions are like arseholes -- everyone has one.

:angry:

Steve

I have typed and re-typed a comment here

All I can say I hope without offending anyone ,

GMK your comments are out of order

alrighty then

Pic of old brewery I used to make my entry is in the gallery under Ashers Bruhause.....

Recipe went like this:
25 litres
OG 1.038
Colour - 7.6 SRM
23 IBU

2.8kg IMC Ale Malt
200g Crystal (65L)
600g Wheat Malt
10g Roast Barley
200g Carapils

14g (1 plug) Hallertau (2.5%AA) 60 min boil
28g (2 plugs) Saaz (3.2%AA) 60 min boil
14g (1 plug) Hallertau (2.5%AA) 25 min boil
28g (2 plugs) Saaz (3.2%AA) 25 min boil
14g (1 plug) Hallertau (2.5%AA) 5 min boil
14g (1 plugs) Saaz (3.2%AA) 5 min boil

1g Kopafloc @ 15min from end of boil

Mash water adjusted to ph5.2 with Phosphoric acid + 1/4 tspn of gypsum

Mashed @ 68 deg for 60 mins
Sparged over 45 mins with 75 deg water (ph 5.5) untill runoff started to tase like tannins. Its very easy to pick by taste I find. there was approx 18 litres in boiler at this stage and I topped up with the rest of the sparge water to 25 litres.

70 min boil - hop additions as above

Fermented with a Kolsch yeast (wlp029) @ 14 deg ;)

There you have it.....

Asher for now

Back