Mash Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, you looked far too deeply into what I was saying, but thankyou for the correction nonetheless.
Practical experience says that mashing at 67 after 60 gets those extra fermentables out, it was unfortunately a bad example. I was trying to say that you can't unboil hops basically... if you boil for 60 minutes, you can't give the same IBU contribution as 20 minute boil. I believe that mash hopping, and first wort hopping, both essentially release their oils early on (contributing to flavour) and so boiling has little effect.
I just didn't know how to word it properly, but Pedro gave a good answer.

EDIT: Finally got the wording. Mashing at 60 then 67 for 90 minutes each has a different effect to just mashing at 67 for 180 minutes... you could say the majority of starches have been converted during the 60C stage, so the 67 doesn't have as much effect. If I'm still wrong, fine. :)

A reason to believe this theory is found in Jean DeClerck's classic Textbook of Brewing (1957). DeClerck states that hop aromatic oils form chemical bonds at higher pH values and lower temps than found in boiling wort. The bonds which are formed are not broken during the boil; hence the permanent aromatic profile. DeClerck even suggested steeping hops in warm water. So the mash provides an attractive temperature and pH profile to allow the hop aromatic oils to form permanent bonds and making them less volatile. Even the eventual boil of the wort isn't enough to drive off the aromas. Again, this is my theory that seems to have a toehold in previous scientific observation. But this is far from the definitive answer.
quote from: article Big D linked to in his post

The mash ph and temp have an effect on the oils extracted from the hops, as opposed the environment of the rolling boil.

Very keen to try POL suggestion of high alpha hops, but I'm locked in to the low alpha hops for a while (just had 500gm of EKG and another 500gm of fuggles delivered).

Just transferred my first mash hopped pilsner to keg. The aroma is incredible. :D

Good morning mash hoppers,
I don't have anything to add but heres a thread some of you might like to read.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Jayse

EDIT: Sorry can't link to the thread directly. look for thread titled MH and FWH Utilization

Just completed my first brew in two months and thought I would give this a crack so I did the following (german pils)

50.00 gm Hallertauer [4.10%] (60 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
40.00 gm Hallertauer [4.10%] (75 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 4.7 IBU

20 Litre Batch
32.5 IBU

Now the question I do have for the regular mash hoppers is, how do you feel the mash hopping effects the flavour.

For example, mash hopping with say 40 grams vs 40 grams added at the 20 min stage of a boil.

??

Thanx!

slugger,
There's a few Mash hop brews down or planned at the moment to get a feel for it's effect on bitterness and flavour.
This thread is one of them and includes a link to a thread I started as well...
More Mash Hop threads

Mine's just been racked to condition. It tasted quite smooth hopwise... almost tame!

More later.

Cheers.

EDIT: Finally got the wording. Mashing at 60 then 67 for 90 minutes each has a different effect to just mashing at 67 for 180 minutes... you could say the majority of starches have been converted during the 60C stage, so the 67 doesn't have as much effect. If I'm still wrong, fine. :)

I tend to agree with you Dunkel Boy. After Mash hopping (&FWHing) many beers I've come to the conclusion that, much like brewhouse effiency %'s differ, that the amount of bitterness/aroma extracted when MHing (&FWHing) varies depending on one's setup, processes, & methods.

Back