Mash Hop Only

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersmith has a mash hop option but alas, it appears to use the same utilisation as if it was added to the boil. I wonder if this is by design or by default?

The default on mine is -80% (IE 20%) & that's what I'm using for my trial...

cheers Ross

The default on mine is -80% (IE 20%) & that's what I'm using for my trial...

cheers Ross

err, yep, on mine too. sorry for the bum steer, error in the carbon, not the silicon. :unsure:

Its down to 1.018 now, been in the shed at about 14-15 degrees (us56 seems to like the cold). The hoppy taste is now coming out over the malt.

I'm off to Sydney for a week tomorrow so I'll get it into a keg when I get back.

THis baby is now on tap,

Hop flavour is exceptionally smooth, to the point that a LCPA I had on the weekend tasted harsh on both flavour and bitterness in comparison.

I'd hazard a guess at 30 IBU's and nothing more. Even this I believe is due to the amount of hop matter that came through during the sparge.

It just needs a bit more of a robust malt flavour, maybe 300g of crystal would round it off nicely. I'll also swap the base malt with either powell's ale or JW pils, the German pils malt is a bit too delicate for this style i think.

Aroma is surprisingly strong compared to what I expected form the losses i picked up during the boil.

sounds good Timmy - I'm planning on brewing mine on Thursday. Deperately need to get some brews down - been too busy to brew of late.... :(

cheers Ross

Some time ago a guy did a brew at the now defunct Goliath brew shop in Adelaide.
It was a pale ale with all challenger in the mash only, and a 1084 yeast from memory.
I wasn't there on the Saturday that it was brewed but I was there to taste it out of the fermenter the day it was getting kegged and it was a well balanced beer.
So what! you might say, well maybe someone who was there on brewday may know the quantity of hops used in that brew.
Those brew days usually used to attract quite a crowd and most would read this list from time to time.
Waiting patiently!!!!
Cheers

I went to one of goliath daves brewdays dicko but im buggered if i can remember back that far as to what we brewed on the day so good luck.I do know that jayse was the brewer on the day as i have the pictures. ;) and you cooked up a fine feed.

Cheers
Big D

I went to one of goliath daves brewdays dicko but im buggered if i can remember back that far as to what we brewed on the day so good luck.I do know that jayse was the brewer on the day as i have the pictures. ;) and you cooked up a fine feed.

Cheers
Big D

I do remember that day big d and I think jayse may have brewed an Irish red ale - could be wrong tho' (many beers).
The pale ale challenger mash hop was after that and I think it was done by a bloke who mashed the grains in a nylon bag to show everyone that you dont need traditional equipment - again, I could be wrong but surely someone will remember if they were there.
My apologies for the slight OT.
Cheers

Timmy, do you think you have achieved anything smoother than that which could be acheived with FWH (i havent read the first page of the thread sorry... its late).
i love to FWH, but havent done a 100% brew.
So your brew has a decent whack of hop aroma, without any late additions..?
interesting results.... and thanx for the experimentation. well done.

I'd hazard a guess at 30 IBU's and nothing more. Even this I believe is due to the amount of hop matter that came through during the sparge.

I think your right about the hops getting into the boil, but your results are very similar to a recent experiment on the brew board (the site is down at the moment so I will find the thread later). Someone brewed a porter with all mash hops and then had the ibus tested and it was equivalent to adding the hops at about 4mins.

Here is the link.
53.99 BUs - 19.25 oz. of 4.7%aa Cascade - mash 9 hours @154

edit - found the thread and correct values.

thats a long mash.

do the aroma/flavour qualities seem different that what you get from late additions? it almost doesnt seem worth the effort but ill still try it one day.

Cheers
Big D

I do remember that day big d and I think jayse may have brewed an Irish red ale - could be wrong tho' (many beers).
The pale ale challenger mash hop was after that and I think it was done by a bloke who mashed the grains in a nylon bag to show everyone that you dont need traditional equipment - again, I could be wrong but surely someone will remember if they were there.
Cheers

My beer was a oatmeal stout, If I remember correctly that was Ian mac's smoked pale ale you guys are talking about. I have some vague memory that when we drank it a month later it had been watered down even further for some unknown reason. Anyway by that time all you could taste was bacon bones like that of pea and ham soup with no malt or hops there at all. Maybe I'am thinking of the wrong beer but it was he that did at least one mash in a bag made of shade cloth with only mash hopping which was the smokey I'am thinking of. It turned a few heads but for all the wrong reasons. :eek: I wouldn't call it a true indicator of what can be achieved with only mash hopping.

There is a good thread somewhere on HBD were Dan Listermann talks about a mash hopped brew he did with columbus a couple years back. Just tried to find it but couldn't but there are a fair few other threads on mash hopping in the archives if anyones interested in doing a search.

Boozed broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Thought I would add in my 2 cents. I just kegged a brew I made around 3 weeks ago which I did 2 stage hopping. mash hop and 60 mins. The brew is a cracker hop wise, just what I was after, flavour comes though so nicey I will be doing this as the standard for all of my brews now.

might even try the full mash hop.

in conclusion, I think mash hopping is awesome for flavour wise, not much aroma though but that's cool.

Cheers
Big D

Cheers

My beer was a oatmeal stout, If I remember correctly that was Ian mac's smoked pale ale you guys are talking about. I have some vague memory that when we drank it a month later it had been watered down even further for some unknown reason. Anyway by that time all you could taste was bacon bones like that of pea and ham soup with no malt or hops there at all. Maybe I'am thinking of the wrong beer but it was he that did at least one mash in a bag made of shade cloth with only mash hopping which was the smokey I'am thinking of. It turned a few heads but for all the wrong reasons. :eek: I wouldn't call it a true indicator of what can be achieved with only mash hopping.

There is a good thread somewhere on HBD were Dan Listermann talks about a mash hopped brew he did with columbus a couple years back. Just tried to find it but couldn't but there are a fair few other threads on mash hopping in the archives if anyones interested in doing a search.

Boozed broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Must be a different brew Jayse, the one I tasted was not a smoked beer.
I do remember it because Dave sold me some challenger plugs of which I never used and they went in the bin.
Ah well there seems to be enough info on mash hopping on this topic without dragging skeletons from the brewery cellar.
Cheers

might o fbeen th elast brew which was jsb pale he did with northdown which was a nice beer but i doubt he mashed hopped it i do recall that smoked beer thought

Back