Market Research-Tamworth Brew Store

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers. I'm very interested in views from the people around the Tamworth area in NSW as to whether they'd use a store that was more orientated to the brewer and distiller of craft products than cordials and kits.

I am very close to a descision on a new store here. I would like to have a place where i can show off my existing range of Stilldragon products to commercial Distillers and have products they use and also have a place that would cater to discerning home brewers and stock kegging gear, brewing equipment, grain and hops as well as a selection of yeasts and other supplies.

As far as i know there is not a store between Newcastle and Brisbane that offers the kind of gear we need, and although my chosen location will not allow me to stock the huge variety of stuff that those two stores have, i will be able to stock some base and specialty grains, have a service to crack them, biab bags, pots and other important stuff as well as properly stored yeasts and hops.

I am after views on the following questions like how frequently you visit Tamworth now, would you visit more frequently if there was a store here like that?

What sort of basic products would you like to see stocked in your local brew store?

Would you go to the trouble of visiting a brew store and paying a couple of dollars extra over supermarket prices for your kits?

Would you be more likely to visit a brew store that had a range of allgrain equipment rather than one that had only kits and essences?

Any other comments or questions you may have?

I would give it a go...but would also diversify into other areas

I used to work in your area, as far as Moree, Wee Waa etc on the railway.

Have you looked at courier's that service the region..

Hay mate I'd say if you can get the backing of the Tamworth public go for it.

Working in a home brew shop here it has taught me that 90% of trade is people bootlegging. 5% of blokes that will and only make kit beer and 5% of blokes that want to improve and make all grain beer.

Being an agent for still dragon you should have the main amount of the business sorted. There are a lot more kits out there that the majority of supermarket kit brewers will try this day and age.

Couriers are good in city areas but I think you will find that most of them won't deliver to letter boxes in the same way Australia post does.

As far as I'm aware it's legal to own a still up to 5lts in Qld not sure about other states sorry. We have cops running them, so it can't be all bad.
But yeah I'd say 90% of people that walk through the door are getting essences.

Beersuit said:
As far as I'm aware it's legal to own a still up to 5lts in Qld not sure about other states sorry. We have cops running them, so it can't be all bad.
But yeah I'd say 90% of people that walk through the door are getting essences.
Ok time to get on the train.
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
So the illegal side accounts for 90% of profit ??
Thats crazy :blink:
Nev
Maybe they're distilling water and essential oils?

Yes they are. It's illegal to distill alcohol in any form in any size boiler without a permit. The essences are produced for flavouring store bought vodka.

Back to the market survey. Thanks for the break down assessment. I figured that's about what i've seen at my local brew shop without the 5% allgrain sector. I intend to have a working small 3v setup in the store and a biab setup as well. I will be actively promoting stepping up to extract (better learn something about it and have a few goes) and allgrain brewing by showing people how simple it can be.
As you say, my core business is distributing all over Aus with the dragon parts and equipment. I expect this to make up a large part of my business.

More advice and opinions required.

I'd like to get a lot more feedback from the people here as you guys are arepresentation of my market.
Maybe i have been too narrow in identifying only with my local brewers, so if i could open it up further as a general question for your local area...

What sort of basic products would you like to see stocked in your local brew store?

Would you go to the trouble of visiting a brew store and paying a couple of dollars extra over supermarket prices for your kits?

Would you be more likely to visit a brew store that had a range of allgrain equipment rather than one that had only kits and essences?

Any other comments or questions you may have?

I really need the feedback as this is a big step.

For me grain and grape are proof of concept for what your setting out to do. Everything you need is available for kit or ag. they have still stuff and also wine stuff. They have always been very helpful to me and the knowledge and passion they have for brewing is a great resource to be able to tap into when stopping by to pick up some hops or yeast. Good luck with it and I hope it goes well.Dave

punkin said:
A good value starter kit would be great to get people in the door. And a wide selection of styles of kit to choose from would help keep people coming back - get in stuff they can't buy from the supermarket/etc.

Beyond the basic stuff: you need to remember that, unless Tamworth isn't big on them electric brain-boxes, your range (and pricing) is going to be compared directly with the guys up the top there.

punkin said:
For stuff they actually sell at the supermarket? Nope.

punkin said:
Me? Yeah.

When I was a new brewer? I might have avoid a shop like that if there was any suggestion that that is how I really should be making beer. Conversely, I do recall thinking it stupid when the bloke I used to buy kits from said that AG was a waste of time. I guess the balance would be hard to get right.

Beersuit said:
Working in a home brew shop here it has taught me that 90% of trade is people bootlegging. 5% of blokes that will and only make kit beer and 5% of blokes that want to improve and make all grain beer.

So having an untapped market in your area, the potential for growing your business is only limited by the degree of your involvement in the all grain scene around you................... Now There's an Opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screwy

Looks like the premises i'm after are available to me, so this will be going ahead sooner rather than later. Can you guys advise me of specific products that you would exp[ect to/wish to buy from your LHBS?

Which kits? Which brands? What essence brands? Which flavours? Yeast? Main smack pack 3-5 yeasts? Dry yeasts you'd expect to see stocked?

Which extracts? Dry malts and sugars? Grains?

Accesories, what's worth stocking?

Sundries?

Latest posts

Back