Malted Ciders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutaneer

Reaction score
Have done a little reading through here and have seen suggestions for using malt extract to add flavour and mouthfeel to cider, particularly when using pure juice (as I am)

Few Questions
--noting that I'll probably use dried light extract?
-how much is needed in addition to the sugars already present in the juice?
-what percentage of fermentables do we have? (thinking around 80%)
-what substances ar actually leftover after the fermentrables have been eaten up?
-do I need to use a different yeast to suit?

Mainly concerned with Apple, but I've secured a small amount of pear juice to try my hand at a Sparkling Pear.

Yeah, I'd come across the Graff, but wasn't intending on using hops.
I'm pretty new to doing things from the raw ingredients, so just taking baby steps at the moment

That was what i was hoping for,
Just to balance out the acidity and dryness it currently has.

I'm a big fan of very dry and even as far as sour (i've had some very nice wild ciders)
but it's always nice to cater for tastes of visitors and other friends.
Although some just don't have any taste and drink the cordial varieties.... :p

I've been thinking a touch of some kind of crystal may help. I may try 250g of something in the next cider I make.

What sort of dose are we needing in relation to say 5L/ 20L

My juice is already beginning life at around 1.065, and finishing dry at around 0.98
So it's making plenty of alcohol and this is just to add some smoothness and thicken it up a bit.

indica86 said:
I've been thinking a touch of some kind of crystal may help. I may try 250g of something in the next cider I make.
Meth?

Should definitely give it a kick..
Maybe a fine blue tinge if you're lucky

Latest posts

Back