Malt Disaster! Always Read The Label!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stixor

Reaction score
Just had my first unpleasant introduction to light dry malt.
Tipped the whole bag in straight after the be2 and guess what happened!!! I guess most of you know what happened.
Got as many lumps out as possible and finished up everything as your supposed to.

Will my brew still work?

At least I learnt to always read the label when using something for the first time!

Any tips on how to mix it?

Thanks.

Tipped the whole bag in straight after the be2 and guess what happened!!! I guess most of you know what happened.
Got as many lumps out as possible and finished up everything as your supposed to.

Will my brew still work?

At least I learnt to always read the label when using something for the first time!

Thanks.

Dont worry, it wont be a problem. Those little yeasties might not look too bright, but they know what they are doing. They'll eat their way through the malt whether its mixed in to begin with or not. Ive been known just to dump kits/malt extract in the fermenter, add water and seal it up. It will be fine.

What are you making that needs BE2 and Light dry malt?

Stir it adding gradually into a big pot of warm water on the stove before pouring into the fermenter. Works every time.

Although a big stir in the fermenter can be used for aireating the wort. ;)

If you're just doing a kit brew, put the boiling water in the fermenter, chuck in the ingredients and swirl the fermenter around until mixed ;) Just like making cordial.. sort of

i find if you add the malt slowly to fermenter while stirring it dissolves very easily

All the kit instructions that I have read have said to put 2L of boiling water into the fermenter add the kit and kilo and then mix it. This goes for straight K&K as well as some K&B. I have never had a problem with malt clumping as I just stirred it until the clumps went away, that never took too long. I always added any powder additions and then added the kit, this allows me to see the malt/dex/stuff easier.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Will my brew still work?

Thanks.

dont bother trying to mix it, another suggestion would be to try some of the liquid malt extracts. Most supermarkets carry saunders malt extract and any good brew shops carry various types.

Ah the good old maltesers. Hot water plus a good stir, they usually dissolve after a couple of minutes.

Helped a mate with a K&B this week and forgot about maltesers. Just gave them a mix. As others have said the lumps will dissolve anyway and the yeast will finish them off.

Gavo

Also, does the fermenter need to be as still as possible?

I just put it on top of the fridge and it shakes around a bit when the door is opened and closed.

Also, does the fermenter need to be as still as possible?

I just put it on top of the fridge and it shakes around a bit when the door is opened and closed.

a little bump will rouse the yeast a little bit and help fermentation along. You'll just have trouble settling the yeast when its finished but it'll be OK

Best way to avoid the maltesers I found was to place the malt in a dry fermenter, add 2L of boiling water and swirl it violently for around 2 minutes.

I've found, when using Dry Malt in starters, that it dissolves by itself, without assistance at all, if you add it to just cold water.
Then leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes, and it does all the hard work for you, no lumps etc etc.
Once it's dissolved I'll bring it to the boil etc etc.
If using a kit, just chuck it in the fermenter once it's dissolved.

I've had this when adding the rest of the malt to a hop boil. Nowadays it's a matter of ensuring the boil volume is big enough, the boil is vigorous and then slowly pouring the malt in - it dissolves every time without stirring. If dumping in it clumps like crazy and the temp change kills the boil so now it's slow and steady.

I had the same drama with my first couple of brews & have since learnt & been told by many to boil it on the stove top in a saucepan. Most brew instructions will tell you that you need about 2 litres of boiling water to make your brew anyway. So why not add the sugars at the same time!!

So what I do is put 2 or 2.5 litres of water in to a large saucepan or pot on the stove, & bring it to the boil(uncovered or without the lid as this will cause it to boil over). Once it's boiled add Light dry malt powder or any sugars that you may be using for your brew.

When u first pour sugars in they will clump together a bit, but give them a good stir every minute or 2 & they quickly dissolve. Turn the heat down 2 a rolling boil or simmer for about 5 mins stirring occasionally, turning the heat down a bit will also stop sugars etc from burning & stop any nasty boil overs.

Put your kit or can of goo into fermenter & up end the saucepan in to fermenter as well, giving the whole lot a good stir... No lumps, nice & easy, this way everything is dissolved before it even hits the fermenter.

Works a treat every time.. Its the only way I do all my brews now!!

Back